Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: PNG Files

Member #
    now we all know PNG is far better then GIF.

i would love to switch to using only PNG format but is there a way to control the amount of colors that a png file uses, like when making a gif, any programs out there. i use Photoshop CS.

thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    png-8 is the only one you can select your color table with.. png-24 you cannot. The reason is first off if you could you would have 65,536 colors to deal with(much more then the 256 you get with gif and png-8) and quite frankly, unlike gif and png-8, it was not ment to scale less then 24-bit so you cannot take colors away from its color table because it is required to hold all of them. So each png-24 will have 65,536 colors in it. That is also why its much larger then the other formats. However jpg is also a 24-bit format but it compresses its images using lossy compression(degrades, muddles colors) png conservs colors and stores them in a color table. But ok im rambling now..

Bottom line, pngs are great formats and they should have replaced gifs and jpgs by now but certin browsers, (ahem.. ie) still do not properly support them.

Member #
    yeah the whole alpha image thing, i saw the patition.. ie once again messes things up.

Remove Ads