Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    i am new to this forum so hello everyone!!
    need your help. I want to take a photograph (of a building) and either in fireworks or photoshop, change it so it is fully visible on the right, but fades to transparent as you head to the left of the image.
    Could anyone please tell me, in simple terms, how to do this?
    Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    In Photoshop, first make sure the image is it's own layer and not the background, then:
    1. Change the canvas size so there are huge transparent margins around the picture in question
    2. Select the Rectangular selection tool
    3. Change its feather to 16 or 32 pixels (more feather means a more gradual change)
    4. Select half of the image making sure the selection goes all the way to the edge of the canvas
    5. Press delete

If it worked right it should slowly change from one side being fully opaque to the other side fully transparent.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Another option is to use Photoshop's Layer masks.

1. Create a new image with a transparent background that is the same size as your photograph.
    2. Copy and paste your photograph into a new layer in PhotoShop.
    3. Click Layers->Add Layer Mask-->Reveal all.

You should see the Gradient toolbar and options at this point, with one small twist: instead of colours, the gradients go from black to white. Black (0%) represents a completely opaque section and White (100%) represents a transparent section. So for your picture, you'd want the black end of the gradient at the far right and the white end at the far left.

4. Select the transparency levels as you normally would colours in a gradient.

5. Point your mouse to the very left of the image, then click and drag it to the very right of the image. You will see your graphic slowly fade out into something like the attachment. (The difference is that once I put the transparency in, I put a black background in behind it to illustrate the transparent area and did it left-to-right.)

To summarize, use the Layer Mask option of Photoshop to create just about any transparency effect you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads