Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Is there a method to detect if the cookies used by your affiliates are being blocked? I know that Spybot adds rules to both Internet Explorer and Firefox to block cookies from affiliates such as Commission Junction and Linkshare. I'm sure there are other ad-blocking programs that proactively block cookies.

Not sure how old this article is, there is no date given, but it has a big list of ad-blocking programs and which cookies they detect:

http://www.vinnylingham.com/specialreports/cookiedetections/#results

Then, consider this: Spybot has been downloaded 105,035,491 from download.com, 8,303,608 from pcworld.com, not to mention all the other download sites out there and safer-networking themselves. Makes one wonder just how many commissions websites that use CPA ads are losing.

Of course you can't prevent users from scanning their computers and manually deleting cookies. But, if you can detect that the affiliate cookies are being blocked and give the visitor a prompt, it could be just one less lost commission.

Does anyone use this type of cookie detection or know how this could be implemented?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hm. That would be tough. You'd actually have to ask the company that sets the cookies to detect that and then give you a hook you can use to deal with it. This is because I'm guessing they set the cookies on their domain, which means you have no way of telling whether those cookies are present or absent.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Hm. That would be tough. You'd actually have to ask the company that sets the cookies to detect that and then give you a hook you can use to deal with it. This is because I'm guessing they set the cookies on their domain, which means you have no way of telling whether those cookies are present or absent.
    I was thinking that maybe I could check and see which cookies are generated by the affiliates I use and then try and create cookies with the same name from my websites and display a warning with Javascript if it was not possible to place the cookie. However, I'm not a cookie expert so I don't know if this is possible. Also, I might end up erasing real cookies if the visitor goes to an affiliate and then comes back, browses the site and later makes the purchase, which would be self-defeating.

How about this, is it possible to detect if certain ad blocking programs are installed? Or, is it possible to detect if Firefox and IE have the specific cookies set to always block in the browser settings?

Member #
    I think I may have come up with a solution. The technique would require implementation efforts by both affiliate and publisher. I'm going to see if I can get a hold of a developer or manager at some of my affiliates tomorrow to discuss whether this strategy would be feasible and if they would be willing to implement it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah. You definitely need a bidirectional deal going. The trouble with trying to see if cookies from you with the same name get set is that I doubt such programs would rely on the cookie name. Instead they'll rely on the cookie domain, and possibly the name as well (though likely just the domain), and you can't really spoof that.

Member #
    Okay. I have contacted one of my affiliates and they will likely be setting up a sandbox where I can test the implementation of the solution I suggested. And, this could be entirely implemented by the Affiliate with options for customization by the publisher.

Remove Ads