Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I was just on YouTube looking at a video, and I got served this ad (attached) - Chateau Les Roches on Booking.com...

What a coincidence - I was just searching for chateaus in the Dijon region of France last week!!! (See dropdown search history)

Coincidence? I think NOT. To me, this represents a privacy issue.

Anyone else?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Indeed. Ninja cats invade my privacy daily...

Were you logged into YouTube and/or Google?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I think I was logged in to GMail. T&Cs say something I'm not aware of about storing your search history?

Member #
    Yeah, there are actually a ton of firms that do this! Keep an eye out I bet you will start to notice it more and more. It is called targeting, basically they look right into your cache and find what you have been searching for and you are served an ad that is related. Places like Tacoda and MediaForge do this, it's not just google!

Noosa, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    add a new like on facebook and watch the ads change. The ads that are served are very targeted...
    Bad for consumers but great for advertisers...

Member #
    You can turn that (google recording your searches and web history) off in Google webmaster tools I think. So Google don't track your web history.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First off, it's not in GWT. It's got nothing to do with GWT whatsoever.

Second, it's ad tracking. It's disabled by following these instructions. Unfortunately, this should be an opt-in service, not an opt-out. Steven's right.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    With every child and his mother on Facebook and loving it. With Facebook requiring "real names" even for Egyptian pro-democracy activists. With spammers and stalkers nonetheless able to maintain numerous Facebook aliases. With some employers starting to REQUIRE a Facebook activity history so they "know who you are." With a British tabloid able to hack your text messages. You are concerned about a little cookie activity tracking??

#1. No private citizen should post their real name or clear photo on the internet, especially children. Gmail does not require real names but verifies uniqueness through automated telephone confirmation. That's what Facebook should do. Facebook wants the ability to search real names to "find friends." It can still do this without revealing the alias. Reply: "We may have a membership for this person. Here are potential matches. Check those that may be the person you seek. We then will notify these people and enable them to view YOUR facebook page without leaving notice of their alias. It will be up to them to enable you to know their alias."

#2. Privacy and democracy were doomed the day the stock market was invented. Microsoft began with a young geek taking notes at hippie-inspired conventions based on free sharing. Then became the most powerful monopoly in history. The Yahoo directory began as a cult popularist phenomenon. Then after they figured they had a lock on the market, they decided to charge hundreds of dollars just to "apply" for their directory. Ironically Google was invented about the same time, making Yahoo obsolete. Then Google went public. A so-called public corporation is legally required to suck millions of dollars out of consumers and give it to shareholders whose business is to play poker trying to rip off each other with the share prices. Why are you surprised what's happening?

The amazing thing is that with the right non-public business model, the combined brains in this one discussion thread could put Google and Facebook out to pasture, to the same degree that they have put Yahoo and Myspace out to pasture. The next step would be not to occupy Wall Street, but to pasteurize Wall Street.

I am working on such a non-public business model. My idea is not like "OS" or "cooperative" or "nonprofit." My idea makes it more possible for innovaters to make milions of dollars and to out-compete huge corporations. The only downside is that your profits are limited to a few tens of millions, not billions. Also I am a slow worker and all my friends and relatives can barely send emails. So send me a message anyone, if you might like to work with me on this. Otherwise, I am making progress, and you can expect to hear more about this within 6 months. Or just keep an eye on Emocracy.com and Emocracy.org. (Not yet online. And when it is online, the new nature of the business model might not be apparent for several years. Unless I can team up with someone who can move things along.)

Meanwhile, I expect you all to keep thinking about what advanced applications you can develop to get a jump on Facebook and Google. And what price you would like to get for it. Let's start the 60's all over again, but this time do it right. Power to the people.

P.S. The stock market is a powerful system to enable development. But the same development can be enabled through bonds, without ripping people off, without resulting in billionaires systematically taking the lion's share of all economic development, without destroying the middle class and without resulting in a roller-coaster economy. And my idea uses a third system, different from both stocks and bonds.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    They'd better not get too attached to Facebook. It's gonna shut down March 15th. OH THE SOCIAL MEDIA OPTIMIZATION HUMANITY!

One of my clients actually read an article that suggests most people dislike Facebook and are only there because it's a convenient way to talk to a whole bunch of people without having to actually talk to a whole bunch of people. My best friend jumped off of it early on and I jumped off and was forced to jump back on kicking and screaming (administering client FB pages).

I'm not sure what your idea is, but I'll listen to anything that sounds semi-solid and could knock the house of cards Facebook is completely down.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thank you TheGame. Interesting to hear your opinion. You are on my CEO list. Everyone here is on my list. Please understand, I was sort of exaggerating and pep talking, like we used to do in the 70's. I don't really know where my ideas will lead. Also I don't want to drag anyone else into my huge time consumption. But as soon as I have some traffic and income going, I will let you all know.

By the way, TheGame's reference reminds me to mention, intermittently I think of writing an article called, "Is Facebook the New Asbestos?"

Asbestos was once heralded as one of the greatest advancements in technology. Fireproof. Rotproof. Insulating. Then it turned out to be one of the greatest disasters in history.

Similarly, we barely know what is the affects of children being brought up watching television. Before we had time to assess this, the computer was invented. Then the internet. Now video games and Facebook.

In the early twentieth century, some so-called "scientists" decided the perfect upbringing for a child might be to be raised as if in a plastic bubble. You can imagine the results. How much different to be raised on computer games? During the Vietnam war, the army decided they would overcome the high rate of non-shooting by having soldiers shoot pop-up targets shaped like people. This resulted in a much higher rate of combat response but also of mental disorders. How much different to be raised on computer games? When adolescent elephants were raised on reserves without adult males, they often went out of control, murdering rhinoceri and each other. All of these things are systematically happening to a huge percentage of children today. And as they grow older, it's on to eharmony and internet dating, perhaps with scant idea of how to feel another person's personality or even to know their own personality.

Our culture has a black-and-white perfectionist attitude. This was one thing made worse in the 60's. Pop culture was idealized, and everyone who was not hip was a square. The typical attitudes were variations of: we who drive a VW and smoke pot are 100% innocent vs. everyone else is 100% guilty. Similarly, because we are involved with computers, we are expected to be uncritical and defensive about every aspect of computers. It should be the opposite. Just as firemen are the most aware of the dangers of fire, those of us most involved with computerization should be the most aware and the most ready to promote awareness of the dangers and unknowns.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads