Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi there are so many web hosting companies out there I was wondering what would be the best way to promote mine. The design still leaves some to be desired but I can clean that up in Post . The site is http://www.bloomka.co.cc

Another site I am running also has the same problem. So many identical sites in the same niche it is a flash game website and is
    http://www.play4free247.com

Thanks in advance for any input!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I would remove the links under normal circumstances, but in this case, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt...mostly because I want to use your two sites to make a point you started to make but didn't fully finish.

Both sites are destined to fail for three main reasons:

1) Both of them focus on topics that are oversaturated to the point of ridiculousness. The hosting industry is full of enough quality competitors that another competitor of any sort is completely unnecessary, and the Flash games idea has been done to death, back to life, and death again...probably because this is about the most "practical way" to use Flash for something. If they ever get HTML5 off the ground, a lot of Flash apps will go the way of the DMOZosaur.

2) Both of them target geeks. Geeks generally don't click ads, and geeks go to sometimes insane lengths just to save money. That's why the hosting industry has become so cutthroat. Wrong market to target these days, IMHO.

3) Both of them don't offer anything original or unique. Your Flash games site has the same games just about every other Flash games site has, and your hosting site...there's no way you can do original with that.

As far as I'm concerned, that's three strikes and your site ideas are out. You may as well save the time and effort and come up with something else. You'll fall flat on your face if you don't.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I don't think you're really house - you're more like Kevin O'Leary. And I mean that in a good way.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Thanks for your input TheGame and you make some excellent points. I spent more time setting up the sites than actually thinking about the practicality of them.

Is there any insight you could offer into a good idea to make some $ on the web? All I ever seem to hear about are get rich schemes and scams etc... which makes trying anything I hear about a long shot.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There are some pretty good reasons for that, dude:

1) Anyone with a good, original idea will generally keep it as close to the vest as possible for as long as possible.

2) The best ideas depend on the individual and that individual's knowledge of specific topics. For example, you may know more about building model airplanes than anyone else in the universe, so you could build a store to sell model airplane kits online. I couldn't do that, however, because I suck at building model airplanes.

So to answer your question, find something you know about that hasn't been done to death or that you can at least put an original spin on. And be prepared to bust your *** to get to where you want to get to.
    All I ever seem to hear about are get rich schemes and scams etc...
    I'll tell you something, man...I've been doing this for 12 years and this has not changed. The only thing that has happened is that it has gotten slightly quieter, although there are still forums and places (e.g. Digital Pointless, that Warrior Forums or whatever it's called) that cater to this mentality. The only thing that surprises me is that a large percentage of people haven't wised up to it yet.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Well said thegame

Sometimes what we need to hear is the things we dont want to hear. One of opur clients is undergoing the an ill thought out music site. After much sound advice from us he ignored the majority of that and practically insists on us developing a site that a crew of professionals see no value in. Sure we can build it and charge appropriately....heck our bottom line improves BUT a good company should be upfront with their advice about a specific sites viability.

We can lead a horse to water but cant make it drink

At least crazymaxs has gathered some useful experience in setting up his sites. Capitalizing on an idea in my opinion usually comes from considerable research as theres nothing more common than un recognised talent, good ideas and badly exercised decisions.

Keep us posted if you do make some changes crazymaxs

peace

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    I feel your pain,

I have been at it for longer than even GAME, back in the BBS days ( I am talking before being connected to the internet in the home was a common thing) people connected to BBS's, maybe local, maybe long distance, but even back then, there was ways to make money online and I found them. You just have to find YOUR own way to make money.

In my many years, I have found that the internet is a game of trial and error, and also a place where imagination pays off. Do not be afraid to try new things, and keep your imagination flowing!
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    In my many years, I have found that the internet is a game of trial and error, and also a place where imagination pays off
    Says the alien in the cloud
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Is the alien in the cloud wrong?
    LOL
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Nope I totally agreed. That's why I 'liked' you post.
    I was trying to say that the alien is imaginative.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads