Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Since we don't have a lot of discussion on this topic, I'm going to throw a question I have out there and see if anyone else has seen the same thing I have.

As many of you know, I run sites with Adsense. One thing I've noticed is that one of those sites (Strike Spots) has had several sudden increases in traffic over the past couple of years (I'm defining a "sudden increase" as a one-day jump of at least 10% over normal traffic levels). When those spikes occur, it seems that there's a lag factor as far as Adsense "catching up" and supplying ads that people click on, which means that for anywhere from a few days to a month following the increase.

I've only seen this pattern play out a few times anecdotally, so I don't have any empirical evidence to support this observation. I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen similar patterns.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    How big are these spikes exactly?

How do you know what ads are being served? Because adsense will be showing you different ads to what your users see.

Generally adsense ads follow people around based on what they've been looking at. Back in the day the ads were more influenced by the site they were on at that exact moment.

I have 1 site that does very well from adsense, because it has so much global traffic.
    But I have no idea what ads its serving most of the time. Although a high proportion I've seen when adsense ads aren't following me around, are free online game ads - which my younger readers seem to click like crazy.

I have nothing to measure/substantiate this. Just a gut feeling based on some things I've said.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Ok... Why ask questions on a thread that hasn't been looked at since last August ?

The OP may not even be around anymore, and in this industry, this may not be an issue or even topic of conversation anymore.

Appreciate the input, but re-awakening dead threads

Remove Ads