Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Advertise or promote on a budget

Member #

Advertise or promote on a budget

I have just created a graphics catalogue web site and will shortly start advertising to promote our services.

In addition, to promote the web site I will be publishing a free e-book on graphic design and will offer free images. Does anyone have any other suggestions for promotional activities, as a less expensive alternative to direct advertising?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    In a word...no. No one does. I don't, anyone else who claims they do doesn't, and everyone else doesn't either.

The reason why is pretty simple...anyone who shares the idea with you shares the idea with everyone who looks at this page, who may or may not share the idea in turn (and someone eventually will), and so on and so on. So the good ideas that are shared end up being diluted, distorted, and run into the ground, and the ones that aren't shared will end up going to people's graves with them.

In other words, if you want an idea that's original and will generate significant ROI (which is really what you should be evaluating your marketing ideas on), then you're not going to get it from here or from anywhere else.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    In a word...no. No one does. I don't, anyone else who claims they do doesn't, and everyone else doesn't either.

The reason why is pretty simple...anyone who shares the idea with you shares the idea with everyone who looks at this page, who may or may not share the idea in turn (and someone eventually will), and so on and so on. So the good ideas that are shared end up being diluted, distorted, and run into the ground, and the ones that aren't shared will end up going to people's graves with them.

In other words, if you want an idea that's original and will generate significant ROI (which is really what you should be evaluating your marketing ideas on), then you're not going to get it from here or from anywhere else.
    Hello TheGAME1264,

Thanks for you honest, but negative response. It is my understanding that a forum is for like minded people to discuss and share ideas. Yes, we could all keep our ideas and thoughts to ourselves, but that defeats the purpose of a forum. The world and the internet is a very large place and a good idea can not get diluted easily, and quickly.

I completely disagree with you. If someone has a good promotional idea that is successful, it is impossible to hide it, because it has been publicised for the purpose of promotion.

Unless anyone else has any ideas for promoting a web site, I'll have to come up with my own original promotional activity. I will purchase a hot air balloon, paint on my website logo and sail around the world. Oh wait, Richard Branson beat me to it.

I've just found another forum which has the discussion I am looking for..

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...-amp-Marketing
    Last edited by Nitrographics; Jul 02nd, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you're on a budget, you can always reach out through Facebook or twitter....or perhaps pinterest since its graphics related....even throw an ad on Craigslist maybe. All of the above is free!

Those might not be the best options but its also better than just sitting on ones thumbs

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrographics View Post
    Hello TheGAME1264,

Thanks for you honest, but negative response. It is my understanding that a forum is for like minded people to discuss and share ideas. Yes, we could all keep our ideas and thoughts to ourselves, but that defeats the purpose of a forum. The world and the internet is a very large place and a good idea can not get diluted easily, and quickly.
    Please understand that my point wasn't to be negative, but to tell you the truth. It may not be what you want to hear, but it is reality. You can be mad at me and try to educate me all you like, but that doesn't change the situation.

Good ideas, and bad ones, get diluted quite quickly as soon as one person shares it. That's the nature of the Internet, and it's also why there are several posts from sheeple on here talking about Article Submission and Forum Commenting and Social Bookmarking and (insert needlessly capitalized phrase here). You can think it's a large place all you want, but if I share an idea with you, you damn well better believe someone else is going to take that idea and directly and/or indirectly run it into the ground. That's the nature of so-called Internet Marketers...they're among the most uncreative people on the planet. They just take from everyone else.
    I completely disagree with you. If someone has a good promotional idea that is successful, it is impossible to hide it, because it has been publicised for the purpose of promotion.
    Okay...and what's your measure of a successful promotional idea? Something you see, something you hear about, or something you've measured and that works for you? The former two items are speculative; people see a clever billboard ad or UNICEF's plea for money in Sweden and say, "I really like that idea...therefore, it has to work!" There's no correlation whatsoever between the things we like and the money they make (or don't).

I've just found another forum which has the discussion I am looking for..

Community Hints & Tips - Promotion & Marketing
    That's also a thread that is twelve years old with no posts in over a year. Anything in there has been taken, distorted, shaken up, diluted, put through the wringer, and spit back out again.

I'll now give you a piece of advice that will help you if you choose to accept it...the best marketing plan you can come up with, and the best ideas you can come up with, are tailored to you and what you're trying to market. Offering free images on a graphics catalogue site isn't bad...gets people hooked on the graphics if they're good, might work out for you. Now, if I'm running a plumbing site, that idea won't work for me because chances are the image of a backed-up toilet shared on the Internet isn't going to get my business noticed. You might also try working with online graphic artists and representing them, much in the manner offline artists are represented...but again, keep in mind that what I just said is now open to anyone else even thinking of building something similar, so I haven't helped you as much as you might think I did.

Again, you need to come up with those particular types of ideas yourself, and it sucks, and it's hard work, and it's not quick and easy...but guess what? That's what makes the reward that much higher when you actually do figure it out.
    Nitrographics likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Celticshinobi,

Thanks, I'll try Craigslist, plus gumtree or any other free advertising sites. Some forums also have a business advertising section, again for free. Some make you post 25 responses before you can add links, a bit cheeky.

Member #
    TheGAME1264,

I appreciate your comments. I'll try a variety of advertising schemes. In the registration page, i'll add a drop down "where did you hear about our site" to access the effectiveness of each scheme.

I didn't see the date of the other forum! Even if I don't copy the ideas, it may offer inspiration.

Thanks for the advice.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Celticshinobi,

Thanks, I'll try Craigslist, plus gumtree or any other free advertising sites. Some forums also have a business advertising section, again for free. Some make you post 25 responses before you can add links, a bit cheeky.
    Actually, that's our rule here, just as a heads up. You're welcome to include a signature after 25 posts, but the 25 posts is there to make sure you're not going to drop spam links or abuse others or just generally be destructive.

* BROKEN RECORD *

This comes down to "SEOs" and "Internet Marketers" who comment on "DoFollow" forums for the PR backlink. It's completely asinine, but as you will soon find out (if you haven't already) there are a lot of really messed up activities that occur in the process of promoting a website.

Again, I'm really trying not to sound negative...the problem is that the culture of Internet Marketing is one of vested interest and negativity.
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Jul 03rd, 2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Thought of one more thing.

Member #
    20 posts to go!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Actually, it's understood that the 25 posts need to have useful information - posting things like "I agree", "you're so right, or "20 posts to go" are considered to be post-inflating techniques, and are frowned upon.
    We're a pretty good bunch here, and have experience and education in this industry to offer. We're to help, and to learn, but you need to be serious about what you are here for. Being smarta$$ and facetious won't get you too far.
    That said, I'm going to choose to take your comment as a one-off joke - if you have more jokes, post them to the "Smile a Day" thread.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads