Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Recommendations for how to advertise my site/business?

What is the best way to do local online advertising for a one-location business? Is going through an advertising agency of some sort a good idea, or can this be handled by oneself? Does anybody have any experience with Yext or any similar companies? What about doing targeted pay-for-click ads? Any advice will be appreciated; this will be the first time I have tried this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I have no idea what Yext is so I won't comment on it specifically. I also don't know what kind of business it is, so I won't comment on it specifically. Unfortunately, that leaves me with generalities...which I hate, but that's what we've got to work with so here goes.

1) There is no one-size-fits-all method that works for everyone with advertising, nor should there be. The more people try a particular approach, the less effective it becomes. Think of it as a variant of the law of diminishing marginal utility. It depends on the size of your budget, the size of your target market, the nature of your target market, the competition, and several other factors. There are a bunch of twits who try to oversimplify this and generalize these ideas and tell you to do X, Y and Z...but they're pretty easy to spot.

2) If you're looking local, get a Google My Business (formerly Google Places) listing. It's free and can't hurt to try, although it works best if you have a website (you didn't specify, so I'll assume you do from here on out). Fill in as much information as you can. If you're in a small enough area, you'll probably do okay just with this alone.

3) Advertising agencies are generally only useful for companies with big marketing budgets and no in-house team (which aren't that common). Targeted PPC can help, but pay heed to your budget and the ads themselves...make sure you have a way to track conversions so that you know they're doing what you want them to do.

4) If it's a small enough area...as in anything below about 100,000 people, give or take...chances are you can put up a well-built site with decent content and you'll pretty much max out your SEO possibilities. This will probably be misconstrued because "you always want as much traffic as possible", but if you're targeting locally and you don't care about say traffic in another state/province/country/larger and more metropolitan area, then you don't need to do all that much. If it's a larger local area, then you're going to have to do some more creative marketing.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads