Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AdWords on blog for negative reviews?

Member #

AdWords on blog for negative reviews?

Hi All!

I have a client who has a beef with "Company A" regarding home repair work they did and a specific product they installed. The client wants to start a blog called "MyExperienceWith[Company A].com. Simple enough. Done that. His idea is to post several "articles" about his experience with this company.

The thing is... he wants to use paid advertising to "be first when someone types the name of Company A".

I think the whole thing is ridiculous but this client is my boss. For starters, I don't think he'll ever have the time to write enough content to have a legit site, but it's at least setup for him to do. Secondly, I don't think Google AdWords will allow advertising to such a blog, which is selling no products or services, but rather is one man's beef against a particular company. I did speak to someone at the AdWords help line and they indicated that such a site and ads would indeed likely not be approved.

Anyone have any experience with anything like this? Would we indeed be able to make an AdWords ad to get people searching for [Company A], for the ad to display above all others, to get people to visit this site?

Again, I know it's goofy, but I gotta be able to tell him something. I've even searched the AdWords policies and can't find the exact wording which I could possibly use to discourage this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You're right. It is goofy. Not only is it goofy, it's ridiculous.

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can say other than what it sounds as though you've already said. If you've spoken to Adwords and you've relayed the customer service representative's answer to your boss, that's pretty much it. Sometimes you just have to let someone fail after warning them, and all you can do is sit back and watch and try to minimize the damage. This is one of those cases.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Does he just have a big problem with this company or is it some kinda competitor? This feels like doing a whole lot just for a petty "beef", but that is the world we live in so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Are you freelance or in-house? If you are freelance and can afford to turn this down I probably would. I try to stay out of situations like this (not that I have ever been in this exact situation).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Actually, he would be better served to post his complaints on review sites and social media, not on his own website.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    If someone on Adwords itself told you that they wont approve it, then it's the end of the story.

Tell your client to why not just engage with negative seo.

Make fake reviews.

There are lots of ways to take down competitors, but it really takes time to take them 1 by 1.

So far the best way to take down your competitor is to be better that them

Better products and services.
    Better marketing.
    Better traffic.
    Better leads.
    Better sales.
    Better business.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Just to be clear on something...there's nothing wrong with posting a site outlining poor company business practices. If you have enough information and can detail said practices more than you can in a simple review, it makes a lot of sense.

The only issue I have with it is spending money with no possibility of an ROI just because you're POed at someone. Tell people about it and let the word spread organically.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks so much for the feedback everyone.

Company A is not a competitor at all. I just have a boss who is pissed off at this company and he feels the best way to get back at them is to make a website and pay for advertising to be on top.

Even though a rep from Google specifically told me they will not accept advertising for such a venture, I was hoping to find that specific wording the their policies to show my boss, but unfortunately i'm not finding the wording that I think will appease him.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    This is the closest thing I could find: "Please note that allegedly defamatory ads, or ads that link to pages with allegedly defamatory content, will be manually reviewed before they can be approved for publication."
    From: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209109?hl=en

It could also fall under this prohibition of "content that seeks to intimidate, exploit, or humiliate others" from https://support.google.com/adwordspo...406?hl=en&rd=1

It also might be worthwhile to remind your boss that repeat or serious policy violations could affect your ability to advertise with Google in the future: "An account may get suspended if you have several violations or a serious violation. If this happens, all ads in the suspended account will stop running, and we may no longer accept advertising from you. Any related accounts may also get permanently suspended and your new accounts may get automatically suspended at setup."
    Vapr_Arts and TheGAME1264 like this.

Member #
    This is all very helpful!

Also, the domain name we got includes the actual name of Company A in the name. It's a rather innocuous domain name "myesperiencewith[companya]", but i'm concerned also about problems with that as well from a legal standpoint.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    I don't think there are any lawyers here to weigh in on the legalities, but at least in the US I think that would fall under protected speech, as long as it's non-commercial. If it's deemed to be commercial use, there are different rules, and it may be easier than you think to cross the line into "commericial use" - lots of good info about domains and trademarks here: Trademark Trashing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads