Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello, I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this, but here goes:
    I decided to utilize Google's Adsense program, but my problem is when I go to my own site (a hosting company) I see ads for competitors. Is there a way to change the content so related sites (such as web design sites, etc.) show but not competitors? This is probably a question for the folks at Google, but I thought I would give you guys a try first.

note: I edited this to reflect Adsense instead of Adwords.
    SonLightHost
    Plans tailored for the reseller!

Member #
    if you're better than them you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

infact, you want your customers to see what other options they have. often those sites which advertise with google charge more because they have to cover the costs of advertising. if you're a good host it should work out in your favour.

the only case against having adsense is if you lose customers because you have adverts on your site, or if you dont make money from it.

Member #
    Thanks Mike, I have posted this question on a couple of other forums and I must say this is the best reply I have gotten. I didn't look at it from the angle you suggested, so, I think I may leave it as is.
    SonLightHost

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Network advertisements do not belong on sales websites. Period.

That's like seeing a commercial on TV for GM and on the right side, there's a quarter-panel ad for KFC in it. It's stupid. Just plain stupid. There's no explanation anyone can come up with to justify it either.

SonLightHost: for the amount (the square root of jack all) you'll make from ad click-throughs, you'll lose more than that from potential customer loss. Not only that, you're losing real estate on your website. it's not worth it.

Sorry, Mike. I have to disagree with you on this one. While the idea of being open to competition doesn't bother me per se, the idea of having random competitors show up on a site does. What happens if SonLightHost's AdSense section shows some basement hoster who offers unlimited everything for $2.99 a year? There are quite a few people out there who will make a decision like that strictly based on price, and SonLightHost may lose those. (Not that they're the best customers in the world initially, but they can quite often turn out to be very loyal when you teach them that service is more important than the dolla dolla bill.)

SonLightHost: lose the ads. It's just that simple.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    hmmm, another good angle TheGAME1264, a decision will now have to be made... keep it or get rid of it. (Now leaning to get rid of it)
    SonLightHost

Member #
    I vote for getting rid of it too. TheGame is right, you're in the business of selling hosting, not advertising. If I came across any site that was advertising their competitors, I would seriously question the common sense of that company. Serving ads shows me that your company is hard up for revenue, and that would be enough to drive me away, for fear that you may not be around for very long.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    TheGAME's always right. Haven't you people figured that out yet?

Actually, spluf's got a point too. It does give off the air of "we're not making enough, so we have to pimp ourselves off in stupid ways."
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I will add to what everyone else has said, that it is very hard to get them to fit in with your website design and style, as well as fitting within the contrainsts on width and height of your website.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Well, I got rid of adsense. No sense in having adsense since it didn't make sense to have it nor did it make any cents at all. It's gone
    SonLightHost

Member #
    Excellent desicion. I have one more piece of unsolicited and unrelated advice: I checked our your website, and the lists that are in the left and right columns are VERY hard to read. This is because they're centered. The eye starts reading each line at a different place. When I read the list that starts with "eCommerce..." it's much easier to read. I'd recommend left aligning those lists and maybe inserting a small bullet or something else to denote each unique item.

OK, sorry for the off-topic rant, but that just stuck out to me as a big problem with an easy solution. :ichatangel:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads