Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Some of the older members here may recall the transition from the third design iteration of this site named "WDF v3" to the current design "WDF v4." The very attentive users also may have noticed that I've been dropping hints that there's a design upgrade planned again, predictably named WDF v5.

Design upgrades at WDF are designed for several reasons:
    • First and foremost, resolve any design issues, functionality or aesthetically, from the previous design. For example, if a useful WDF feature is obscured through a lot of link-clicking, that feature is made more prominent.
    • The other main component is to introduce new functionality. Other than what's posted in this thread I would prefer not to state the new toy features we have on the WDF development servers that the moderators and I enjoy. However, from the images posted in this thread, I'm sure you can guess at several of them.
    • A side effect of the redesign is simply visual. Each design of WDF carries on elements of the previous one while introducing new, innovative, and hopefully attractive visual aspects. WDF v5 is no exception.
    • The final component is an upgrade to vBulletin itself. WDF v5 will be implemented on or after the final release of vBulletin 3.5.0 which itself adds a great deal of features, mostly administrative and back-end. I have been granted the use of a preview release for vBulletin staff members that I use for my testing.

So, other than the new look, what's different from WDF v4?
    • The new design is completely static. However, it is based on a 1024 x 768 viewport as that is what the majority of computer users have today, instead of the previous 800 x 600 that the static version of WDF v4 assumes. This should ideally combine both the aspects of static and dynamic layouts: a strictly uniform, consistent, and precise layout that still has the width to present content in a manageable maner.
    • As indicated in one of the attached screenshots, the How's My Site forum will become one of the feature attractions of WDF. You can now rate a site on a variety of features. Plans are made to automatically validate the markup and CSS of a submitted site, and overall 5-star rankings are calculated on the average of all submissions but with a weight given towards what users overall considered to be their most important design attribute. However, submitting a site is still just as simple as posting a thread in that forum with a link to your site. WDF will automatically pick up the link and present the poll.
    • There is one keyword in the navigation bar of one of the attached screenshots here that indicates one possible incarnation of WDF: think Fedex or UPS.
    • WDF v5 will utilize the built-in vBulletin "reputation" system. This will replace the current "turtle dollars" system. Just like eBay, users can leave positive or negative feedback for individual posts a user makes. This will contribute to overall reputation statistics for the user. This is extremely useful for users posting service requests as they can see a user's reputation at-a-glance and trust that user.

Remember this is only a design prototype and will surely change. However, it has been in the works on-and-off for the past couple months, and those sneaky WDF moderators have seen it for a while and been giving input guiding it to what you see now.

Note that only one of the screenshots shows the actual WDF v5 design. The others use the default vBulletin style for coding purposes but will plug seamlessly into any WDF v5 design.

Text that's in the WDF v5 design screenshot that isn't antialiased means that the text in question will be rendered by the browser (and will likely be antialised through Windows' ClearType and OS X's Quartz).

WDF v5 will function and render properly in all the modern browsers. It will be absolutely perfect in Firefox, nearly perfect in IE, and nearly perfect in Safari (I now have a dedicated Mac just for testing web pages in Safari 2.0 under Mac OS X 10.4.1).

A bit of trivia: the design prototype here is the 14th internal design prototype, nearly all of which looked completely different from WDF v4 and each other.

You, the 10,000-plus users of WDF, are more important than these designs, though. What are your thoughts, both positive and negative, on what you just read and have seen?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    [*]There is one keyword in the navigation bar of one of the attached screenshots here that indicates one possible incarnation of WDF: think Fedex or UPS.
    UPS? FEDEX? You got me man
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's actually in two of the screenshots...the navbar of one and an FAQ item in the second.

Alright, a different hint: fluffy or car-mountable physical manifestations of the WDF logo.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    very exciting <3

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The WDF logo is not garfield
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    It's a bit late, but I'd have liked to see a contest for the new design. I'm sure there are a few talents on this forum who'd love to contribute.

Member #
    Why get rid of turtle dollars? Keep them and add the reputation system. I think they are a very useful to get answers quickly when you're in a jam.

Just my 2c.
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Member #
    lol wired, wouldnt it be awesome to get wdf car stickys as widespread as the garfields? :P

Member #
    Looking pretty good. I really like the "How's my site" rating system. Helps a lot more for people to give feedback on different aspects of a site's design rather then the whole general picture. Something you can't get anywhere else on the net (or not that I know of).

Reputation system sounds interesting as well as the store. I'm really looking forward to see what comes of that.

Only thing I'm not 100% on is the homepage design. For me it looks a little bit dark and relys a lot on the globe for the design of the site.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    think Fedex or UPS
    I know what it is!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads