Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Here is the concept for the new forum home. The objective is to list the forums as quickly and efficiently as possible; the first rule of web design is to get to the content immediately, and that's what this does.

The hope is to use a two-column layout as you can see. This is now possible because the layout is based around a 1024 x 768 viewport, not the currently used 800 x 600.

Also, for those who enjoy such things, I encourage you to browse through the code once WDF v5 is implemented here, namely for comments and the filenames I used. They tend to reflect my thoughts as I design. For example:
    HTML Code:
    <link href="wdf_css/framework.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    <link href="wdf_css/horriblyunsemanticvbtables.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    <link href="wdf_css/forumlistings.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    and
    Code:
    div#framework-browserwarning[id="framework-browserwarning"] /* something POS IE doesn't support */
    {
    	display: none !important;
    }
    Attached Images Attached Images
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    My two thoughts... the Specialty Forums title box has that annoying line that goes right through the text and it looks very out of place. Also, is the "2" next to the PM's a custom font or does it just look weird in the jpeg?

Member #
    any hints as to when the new site will be implemented?

Member #
    to be honest, I like the current design better :cry: .

I do like the idea of the two columns, and having little icons next to them, but I think the current one is cleaner, has nicer colors. but the new one does have more information with less scrolling, which is always a plus. The search bar at the top is a good idea.
    Jason

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack000
    any hints as to when the new site will be implemented?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbagley
    Im looking forward to the launch! Any specific date?
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    There's no specific date other than the final release of vB 3.5 at the very earliest.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I may have missed something, but is the two column idea just to allow you to get the content to the user quicker then a single column would? It seems a solid idea and I quite like it.

It looks okay to me, but will certainly take a little bit of getting used to at first. I think it's coming along fairly well so far. Not 100% on the icons but like the idea. Maybe some more colourful icons would look tasty.

Member #
    I read the other sneak peak threads and the new gadgets and stuff sound realy cool.

When I look at the new site I think the earth graphics to the left might be too bold or something, when I look at the page all of my attention is drawn to there.

I'm exited
    Jason

Member #
    Sounds cool.

By the way, are you laying it out with CSS divs or tables? You know how much it would benefit you if you didn't use tables.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanim
    By the way, are you laying it out with CSS divs or tables? You know how much it would benefit you if you didn't use tables.
    VB uses a lot of tables by default, and I think there's not much one can do to change that, but filburt is using a lot of CSS to style those tables. And aside from the VB elements it would be CSS because that's what he has said he develops sites with.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The general framework (header, links, footer) is entirely semantic HTML, styled with CSS. The tables vB frustratingly uses everywhere are styled with a lot of CSS, but unfortunately, there is no perfect way of styling the corners the way I want, making them still square.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads