Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Here is the next preview set of screenshots for the next design of Web Design Forums.net, named "WDF v5" given it's the fifth design iteration.

The first one shows off the planned layout for the forum listings. I scrapped the idea I posted in an earlier sneak peek as it wasn't working out (not enough space to put all the forum information and too hard to make icons for every single forum). This new design mimics the current design which itself is based off WDF v2 and v3. It has been slightly cleaned up; for example, forums with new posts have the right chevron and bold text whereas unread forums have no chevron and plain text.

The next screenshot shows a listing of threads in a sample forum. This design has been greatly modified from the current one: thread start dates are shown along with thread starters in their own combined column (instead of right after the thread title as it is now), sticky threads appear as normal threads with a divider at the top of the listing, and subtle icons are used in the place of the bold small text and small icons in use now for attachments, locked threads, etc. I have removed the colored thread activity cells as they didn't seem to be that useful after a while. This design also inherits forumhome's style of bolding unread threads.

Also note the "rating" column: in this example, the threads shown are from a "How's My Site" forum, so this column will have one-to-five star ratings of sites. This column has a context, meaning it changes based on the forum. For example, Request a Service will have a column named "Status" with status icons for "Available", "In Progress", "Completed", and "Conflict."

The next screenshot shows off a single post. This design is very different from the current one, although there are similarities such as where the avatar is placed. This new design tries to make user data fit in as small a place as possible and functional and removes unnecessary information. It also includes as you can see a user reputation value. In the screenshot, "1,234 points at 97%" means that 97% of the user's reputation points are positive and 3% are neutral or negative. This is very similar to eBay's rating system where users' posts can be rated with point values of -1 (bad), 0 (neutral), or 1 (good). So, in this example, the user has earned more than 1,234 points total, but some of them have been negative. Moderators and the administrator votes count for more than -1, 0, or 1 point, and users with high reputation will be able to more strongly rate others' posts. (note: the IP address is only viewable by moderators)

Finally, the last screenshot is me working in OneNote, sketching out the first and failed design for a new postbit. The designs have gotten so complex and fundamentally different from vBulletin's defaults that I'm finding it easier to draw on my tablet a design than start coding it or even work in Photoshop.

When will WDF v5 be live here?
    When it's done. That means probably late Winter or early Spring of 2006. I'm still working on static HTML and CSS for these designs, not ones already integrated into vBulletin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Looks wicked, can't wait for that!!!!!

Member #
    Great work filburt1

(You already have my vote for VOTM )

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I spent the last hour removing CSS warnings from the style, too. There were around 120 of them, all of which were color inheritance warnings. I'm still stuck with two of them, so the code now reads:
    Code:
    div#framework-navbar a
    {
    	color: white;
    	/**
    	 * You have no background-color with your color : div#framework-navbar a
    	 * Lies!
    	 */
    	background-color: transparent;

padding: 2px;
    }

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Try the hex instead of "white".
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It complains about the transparent background color (twice).

Member #
    Yeah, the W3C CSS checker was recently updated so that "background-color: transparent;" is now illegeal.
    -GeZe

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    What is the preferred replacement? The CSS validator complains when I have a color without a background-color and vice versa even though it should see the inheritance I have, so I still need both colors.

On another note, I've started to convert the stuff to vB templates. My anger is mounting.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Check out the attachment. It's fully integrated into vBulletin with every element you see working, including the nifty search field, announcement indicator which checks the last time you read the announcements forum, the new PM counter (not visible because I don't have any new PMs), the validator links, etc.

1. It's 385 lines of markup as you see it. It's obviously simpler than the current design even in terms of listed forums, but WDF's index page (as I see it when logged in is an insane 3198 lines of code thanks to the huge chunks of embedded CSS, dependence on tables, etc. The new design has tons of CSS (far more than WDF v4) but it is abstracted into cachable files and relies on tables only when necessary to support crappy browsers.

2. By popular request, the title image is clickable.

3. It's really hard to take a screenshot on my computer with the KVM switch attached. The switch filters out the Print Screen key so I have to open Windows' on-screen keyboard accessibility tool and click the Print Screen key.

4. AdSense works where you see the white box, it is just caught ironically by my global Adblock filter for it.

5. Even the 401/403/404 error pages and the database page have been redone to match the new style.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    pretty colors
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads