Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Welcome to "WDF v5"!
    You're seeing the most recent design iteration of Web Design Forums.net (WDF) called "WDF v5" (the fifth iteration). This is by far the most extensive customization of Web Design Forums.net that has taken place. Here's a quick overview of what's new:
    1. New Design
      The most obvious change is the new design. This design is created to improve the aesthetics of the site as well as place commonly used features in easy-to-access locations. WDF v5 relies very heavily on CSS for designing page layouts; in fact, the "framework" WDF v5 uses for pages uses purely semantic markup, meaning HTML that describes page content and structure rather than appearance.
    2. How's My Site?
      The popular "How's My Site?" forum has been modified to support detailed ratings. When you post a thread in the How's My Site? forum, you must now type the URL to your site (a surprisingly common element missing from threads previously). WDF then presents viewers of your thread with details about your site, including ratings on a scale of 1 to 5 for five separate criteria. Links for validating your site's markup and style are also included. Of course, you can reply to the thread with your own comments.
    3. Today at WDF
      Second to the new design, the thing that most likely drew your attention when visiting WDF is Today at WDF. This section of WDF contains a great deal of timely information, including today's featured posts (as posted by you and selected by moderators), recent unanswered questions, an overview of the Site of the Month contest, your reputation level, and general statistics. Remember to come back every day to see new content here!
    4. Site of the Month
      The "Site of the Month" contest is now entirely automated, and entering it is very simple. All you have to do is enter your site's name, URL, and description, and check a box stating you read the brief rules. Later in the month, once the deadline for entries passes, other members can vote for your site with a single click. You're automatically placed in the Hall of Fame if you win, and your site gets featured on Today at WDF for the next entire month.
    5. Reputation
      WDF now implements a "reputation" system where you can rate other users' posts. This lets you build a level of trust among other members by quantifying just how helpful other members of the community are. This new feature is quite extensive: learn more. Reputation replaces the previous "turtle dollars" system.
    6. ...and much, much more
      There are countless new innovations in WDF v5, from minor enhancements of previous features to completely new implementations. As you browse around in WDF v5, you're surely come across something new all the time.
    What's left to do
    The upgrade was completed at 11:08 PM on December 31st, 2005 (cutting it close, huh?) and there are still quite a few issues to resolve as with any change this extensive. Some features are not yet fully implemented.
    1. [deleted]Notifications
      Notifications for WDFplus members let you receive notifications about WDF events...without a browser. Learn more, plus a screenshot. The client needs a very minor update and the server needs a hopefully equally minor update before this can go online.[/deleted]
      [inserted]Notifications are now available.[/inserted]
    2. [deleted]RSS Feeds[/deleted][deleted]
      RSS feeds have been greatly enhanced and are now compliant with the RSS 2.0 specification. You can also get feeds for the entire site (new posts), a forum or group of forums, or even a thread itself. Unfortunately, they rely on a library that seems to be broken in the version of PHP this server uses so they're down for the time being.[/deleted]
      [inserted]RSS feeds should now work properly.[/inserted]
    3. WDFplus Trial
      You'll soon be able to apply for a trial of WDFplus at no cost nor obligation so you can try being a wDFplus member for a while until you choose to pay the already low cost of $10 per year.
    Reporting problems
    There will surely be several problems you'll encounter with WDF v5 that need to be fixed. Please report them by replying to this thread (although quickly check that nobody else has reported the same problem).

Thanks and enjoy
    Thanks to the beta testers and moderating team for evaluating the beta version of WDF v5 for themselves, and of course thanks to all other members for making WDF the success it is today.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The "Search just this thread..." area. IIRC, an OnClick()= something can do it so that when someone clicks in that box, the "Search just this thread..." text disappears.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Subscription window is messed up, both in IE and Firefox (1.0.7)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Looks amazing! I submited it to css beauty, I hope it makes it!
    -GeZe

Member #
    payments.php still lists WDF Plus membership as giving you 100 extra Turtle Dollars .
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    [deleted]Just a little thing on the page http://www.webdesignforums.net/payments.php, there are still several references to turtle dollars, screenshot attached.[/deleted]

justlivyalife beat me to it

Another thing i noticed when i was editing this post. I wanted to use the [deleted] and [/deleted] tags, but they do not appear to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Also, 'New Posts' seems to be working differently.

Once I've read a post it totally disappears from the 'New Posts' display. Before, and on all other vB 3.5 forums, they remain their, but become less focused. Is this something that could be changed?
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    I like the new sub-forums in the Apache, IIS, Domains, and Hosting forum, very useful. I was just thinking that a rating system similar to the How's My Site forum would work really well here. Just my $0.02

Member #
    I haven't had a chance to have a good look around just yet but everything looks quite impressive. Some decent new features and the design is quite nice as well. Nice job.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads