Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    pyrodragon,
    what you are refering to is some sort of repository where users can post bits of code that others can comment on, and even make changes themselves?

And no worries about the future of WDF, we have a good team in the background and strong membership, things are only going to get better.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by glyakk
    pyrodragon,
    what you are refering to is some sort of repository where users can post bits of code that others can comment on, and even make changes themselves?

And no worries about the future of WDF, we have a good team in the background and strong membership, things are only going to get better.
    yes for example i post a script that allows users to use an alert (i know it is simple but it is an example so here is the script
    HTML Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Make an alert</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    alert('this is an alert');
    </script>
    </head>
    </body>
    </html>
    now another user comes along and says that is would be better as a function to be invoked at will by the designer and also says that alert would be better displayed as a variable.

HTML Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Make an alert</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function showwarning(item)
    {
    alert(item);
    }
    </script>
    </head>
    </body onload="showwarning('random text')">
    </html>
    this new version as well as the old one should be available to the user.
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    What an intruiging idea. And that's not a subtle hint.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Still accepting comments.

If you need ideas, consider these hypothetical features:
    • More advanced formatting in posts (line numbers for code blocks, additional coloring schemes for languages other than just HTML and PHP, etc.)
    • Your own WDF-hosted blog
    • Threads that can belong to any number of categories instead of one single forum (consider how Gmail works)
    • Improvements or refinements to the How's My Site forum
    • A threaded discussions system where replies have their own replies, rather than threads with all posts on one linear level

Member #
    I think blogs would be cool.

One suggestion I have for the "How's My Site" area is to have separate rating areas for style and accessibilty. That way people who post their sites get a better idea of what needs improvement.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    I have seen blogs attached to forums and haven't been to impressed, while they sound like a great idea unless people get subdomains and full blogging features it really is pointless. The users forum blog becomes a watered down version of a proper blog..

A much better blogging idea would be to link WDF to users existing blogs. Perhaps via RSS or something. When a user makes a blog entry it can be accessed through their profile. Furthermore you could have a WDF/blog which shows the latest, most useful (rated by users) and most popular entries(views).

You could also use wordpress tags to sort them into categories like technical, web design, personal. I don't know how this would work with similar blogging systems like blogger but its an idea.

As for the code tags, line numbers would be awesome. Especially when it comes to determining errors.

I like the script idea above. I think that would be excellent.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    [*]More advanced formatting in posts (line numbers for code blocks, additional coloring schemes for languages other than just HTML and PHP, etc.)
    Yes, please. And also make CSS an option so it's not just [code]

[*]Your own WDF-hosted blog
    I agree with Perad, it would have to be better than what's already out there

[*]Threads that can belong to any number of categories instead of one single forum (consider how Gmail works)
    That's a good idea.

[*]Improvements or refinements to the How's My Site forum
    Remove the "I will visit again" or append it with something on the lines of, "If I were in the target audience..." Or, allow the user to define what gets ranked. If it's in the design phase, colors, fonts & layout are more important than how quickly it loads.

[*]A threaded discussions system where replies have their own replies, rather than threads with all posts on one linear level
    Sure. I don't tend to see many threads that get that deep though.

And for something completely different... what about an internal IM, so if someone is online, you can contact them for more info and 1-on-1 suggestions.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I think the problem with IMs is that it defeats the public part of the site. Private help doesn't help the community as a whole. IMs can just be left to standard IMs...

Although a WDF Jabber server would be interesting lol.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    What sort of "advanced" features for user blogs would you be thinking about? A subdomain (more likely, a top-level directory, for technical reasons) isn't entirely out of the question.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    BTW, this is the official logo we're using. It's already assigned to some collaborative software we're trying out. I think it'll be great for WDF v6 without a single change.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Remove Ads