Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    As many of you know, this is the fifth design iteration of this site, not to mention the 14th design candidate for just this iteration. Each iteration has two overall objectives: a new, fresh appearance, and compelling new functionality. New iterations happen about every year; traditionally, they're implemented on January 1st.

So, it's no surprise that we (the moderator team and I) are thinking about the next design iteration, naturally called WDF v6 as this is WDF v5. However, that is where the similarities end. We're striving to completely depart from the paradigm a forum introduces, and turn this site into more than just a discussion area for all things web design.

Don't get me wrong: we're not aiming to change at WDF is at its core: discussions between web designers is still going to be the target, and always will be...or the domain will be useless! But we're going to extend that with many exciting new features. When I say exciting, I'm not trying to use marketing-speak: I genuinely hope to turn WDF into something that is literally completely different from any other site in this field.

We do have some big ideas, and unfortunately, we're going to break tradition and not share what they are. However, we are going to keep with tradition in another area: seeing what you, the members, want. Everything and anything goes. Don't worry if it's complex, seems outside the scope of the forum, or you think nobody else will want such a feature. Let us know.
    • Obviously, there'll be a new appearance for the site. Suggestions?
    • Are you pleased with the power of the site now? Do you want certain features enhanced, removed, replaced...?
    • Do you think the use of vBulletin (the software powering the forums) are limiting WDF's potential, and would you recommend that we either switch to another product or write our own entirely?
    • In generally using WDF, what's the one feature that you wished you could have?

It's probably clear by now that this is no design change like most of the WDF versions have been, but instead, a whole new approach to discussing web design issues and learning about web design. That also means you shouldn't expect to see anything by January 1st, 2007; 2008 is possible. That's how in-depth this will be.

Any and all ideas are welcome. Please reply to this thread with whatever you are thinking.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I like WDF as it is, though the current design with the earth feels a bit tired, perhaps i have just seen it one too many times.

Anyway, loading the first page always seems to take a while, while the rest of the forum has good load times. Does anyone else come across this?

1 change i would like to see is a better implementation of the tutorial forums. Perhaps when tutorials are submitted they could be published as a web page instead of a forum post. I feel that the current method in which the tutorials are set up limit's their use. I can't explain it that well, i just think they would be better and used more frequently if there was a tutorial section of the site instead of just a forum.

Its the same with site of the month, both these forums seem a bit squashed or stuck in a hole... basically i feel that these would thrive if they were redesigned and a bigger part of the website was dedicated to them.

Thats all i can think of right now

Member #
    One thing I would love to see is better support for mobile devices. Right now you can view WDF on a smartphone as text only, but does not give you the option to post new topics! I find that a little strange. I use WDF on my mobile device often and always have to view the page in its entirety which means downloading the graphics, and taking a lot of time.

As far as the design goes I'm not big on the Earth either. Being a forums site, I think that it needs more of a cleaner look.
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    I would like to see a <New Threads> button as well as the current <New Posts> button.
    End of Line.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    These are good suggestions, but keep in mind we're trying to think high-level. Fixing small issues (or larger issues as you may see them) in the current design is still good feedback that can be applied towards WDF v6, but we're thinking more along the lines of how you'd interact with whatever features you'd like to see, not how to tweak current ones.

Member #
    I've got an idea.

WDF look like EVERY other forums site. Which is fine because you instinctively know how to browse it, but lacks originality.

What would be really cool is to have a customizable home page obviously for members only. For example, when you log on there would be several fields that you could choose to have displayed or not. This would run along side of something like microsoft sharepoint. I hope most people know what that is... because its amazing!!

In this customizable home page, you can choose to show fields like, online friends, topics that you replied to or started, certain boards that you monitor, a featured topic of the day. There could also be a field that would display a WDF calendar.

Maybe you could even have a field that can be like a bookmark that would use an xml document to keep track or your favorite posts. That would kind of work like the bookmark section of Firefox. This way when you come across an interesting article or post you can store it and reference it whenever you need. I rely heavily on bookmarks and have hundreds of them saved. It's how I got a job as a web designer

Lastly, there could be customizable themes that you could use. People love that! I know I do! Maybe going a step further there could even be an option to make your own theme. After all, isn't that what all vBulletins are basically?

I think this would move WDF towards being very original and would give the site personality.
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I like it.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Ditto.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Me three!
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    you made an intresting point in saying vBulletin powers this forum. I would say that rewriting it however difficult might be an idea to add full flexability to the forum. you wanted to add additonal features try adding scripts to the site that users can comment on and edit (i myself was working on such a system and would love to chip in on such a development). I personally however like the forum and hope it continues to operate
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads