Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    In the previous Sneak Peek thread, I posted a mangled entity-relationship diagram (ERD) of WDF v6's database:

Attachment 3636

Well here's a long list of features that this database structure will support. Brace yourselves...but also realize that almost all of these are tentative despite being supported in the current database. They're listed in order of the table name below. A lot of them are moderator or administrative/architectural features, but it might still be interesting. Architecturally-important or very useful features are in bold.

• A list of articles on any definable topic, filterable by a crapload of criteria.
    • Very advanced user banning. Can't go into the details for security reasons, but we can ban by a variety of criteria that will keep spammers away for good, sometimes even before they can register thanks to a stupidly crude AI system.
    • The ability for blogs, discussions, and most other site content to belong to multiple categories and not just a single forum or category
    • The abilities for blogs (well, really any user-posted content) to be rated by other users
    • User blogs, including your own mini-moderation power where you can require that you manually approve comments posted to your blog until they become visible to others
    • A list of "category experts" that can be promoted by moderators directly in addition to me; they're an authorative level between moderators and normal members. They won't have notable power but they'll be specifically designated as being experts in their respective categories. In all likelyhood, the ratio of experts to moderators (who themselves will be experts) will probably be 3:1.
    • A "code gallery" filterable by difficultly level and language(s) involved
    • A comment that is deleted is never really deleted and can always be retrieved.
    • Similarly, edits don't destroy the original post and can be reverted to earlier states.
    • Login security that doesn't even send an MD5 hash of your password on every request and kicks you out if somebody tries to log in as you simultaneously from a substantially different IP from normal. The system can also e-mail the likely target after possible hacking attempt was detected to suggest that the target change his password or e-mail address.
    • Hidden moderator notes so we can talk about you guys behind your backs. Oh yes.
    • An extensible list of Instant Messenger providers to easily add more providers when they become available.
    • A list of rated "spam" keywords to make the forums more self-moderating, giving the forum the ability to delete crap posts instantly or warn moderators of suspicious posts immediately.
    • An internally tracked reported comments system (right now reporting a post just e-mails all of us) that will even track what action was taken and by what moderator.
    • An improved Service Requests area where you must explicitly provide your reply preferences, whether it's beein completed or not, and how what (if any) monetary compensation you'll provide.
    • A merging of How's My Site and the Site of the Month contest into a single Site Gallery feature, which could be extended in the future to support contests. It already supports aggregated ratings.
    • Tracking and logging of uncaught exceptions--something that you should never see but that I'll like.
    • More detailed e-mailing preferences for whether or not you want to be e-mailed on new replies, comments to your blog, etc.
    • More user profile fields and some removed that were pointless. Notable additions are the ability for you to define your actual name as well as a very brief biography to be shown in articles you post.

The database is 55 tables, including four that PostgreSQL created itself for full-text indexing and a couple abstract base tables that will never contain data, only serving as a template for inherited child tables.

On an unrelated note from the database, I'm debating whether or not to make WDF v6 IE6 compatible. IE7 certainly, but it uses such advanced CSS right now that it'll suck to crapify my markup to support IE6. I'll need to make the decision later, but IE7 hits here are rapidly taking over from IE6, and hopefully IE6 will be an extreme minority by the beginning of 2008. If even 4% of hits are IE6, it'll still be IE6 compatible.

Right now, the targeted browsers are IE7, Opera 9, Firefox 2, and Safari.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Make that 57 tables. I'm third-normal-formifying parts of it that need cleanup. As you probably know, the database is the most essential component of any web application; if it's a broken design, the entire system will be broken.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    yippee!
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Yeah, all you liked was:
    Hidden moderator notes so we can talk about you guys behind your backs. Oh yes.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    Hidden moderator notes so we can talk about you guys behind your backs. Oh yes.
    :surprised: GASP!
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    What a diagram. It might take me a few days just to make the diagram by hand. As for IE6 - I dunno, I still think a substantial amount of visitors will come from IE6, even next year. Heck, netscape who was KIA several years ago is still haunting us.

Oh and a few things, filburt. Some links I've discovered don't take you directly where they should. For example, clicking on "What do these mean?" in your reputation page only takes you to the FAQ and doesn't go straight to the FAQ page on reputation.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    67 tables now (63 are mine). I'm much happier with it now, but I'm also shuddering to think of all the code to actually interface with all those tables.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I've also been meaning to say that because of the semantic nature of the markup, it may be possible to make it an uber CSS Zen Garden-like site where users could provide their own stylesheets. Of course right now, only the actual WDF stylesheet will be deployed, but it's something to keep in mind.

Member #
    The CSS-Zen-esqueness would be an awesome feature. Thumbs up to that.

Member #
    A list of rated "spam" keywords to make the forums more self-moderating, giving the forum the ability to delete crap posts instantly or warn moderators of suspicious posts immediately.
    It would be cool if the system chose a moderator that was online at the time, this would give it a faster response.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads