Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    I like the show/hide feature for the logged in.

The articles + tutorials is new... will that be a feed? Or something like the most popular posts? I like that the index is there too, since that's what people are here for.

What I don't like are some of the GUI elements...
    I don't like the blue+green. It's too pretty and makes it look like every other bubbly-happy site out there.

The swirls on top are confusing me.

And since I'm already giving you my opinion... I can't stand curved buttons. Extra markup with no added performance.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    DCScene, thanks for the feedback. I don't think there's anything wrong with "pretty", or did you mean "girly"?

I tend to agree with the blue+green issue. I think I'm gonna go for cobalt blue + silver or navy blue + tan.

The swirls are gonna go. They weren't part of my vision, and I never liked them.

The curved buttons will most likely stay. Extra markup? In the literal sense, ALL web design is extraneous markup. All CSS, all design elements, any layout, etc... all extraneous to functionality... but the web is not pure function. Neither is a community like this. Emotion and human interfacing are important aspects of web design. Chamfered corners may be extra work, but they're worth it when they fit in with a design concept. In the case of this one, they make the whole design easier on the eyes, and they work.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    By the way, some of you may have noticed that on the forum list (http://www.webdesignforums.net/forumhome.php) I changed the forum index to use search-engine friendly mod_rewrite style links to forums.

I'm going to do the same with threads when I get a chance. vB's code is a real mess to work with!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Oh, btw... the articles and tutorials on the homepage will be an additional component that we will be adding to the site. It will extend the functionality of the current Web Design Tutorials section (which will disappear).

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    That rewrite may have screwed up the link for the article system currently in place. There are pre-done mods that will do it for you. Something similar used to be in place here a while back IIRC.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Yeah, I'd like to use something like that long-term, but right now, I just can't figure out the whole mod system, and WDF is so highly customized already that it's even more of an issue.

I think for the new WDF 6 I'll just upgrade to vB 3.7 and dump most of filburt's mods (with the exception of the reputation system).

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Repitation's part of vB. Filb just made it useful
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I mostly finished the index page forum list (with javascript to toggle subforums):

http://www.webdesignforums.net/forumhome2.php

All I have to do now is add some CSS, add cookies to remember your show/hide settings, and integrate it into the right column of the index page.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, check it out... I added styling and accelimation to the show/hide (using jQuery UI toolkit now).

http://www.webdesignforums.net/forumhome2.php

I'd like to also add + / - buttons for the show/hide

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley
    DCScene, thanks for the feedback. I don't think there's anything wrong with "pretty", or did you mean "girly"?
    I guess this is one of those things where tone of voice would help... I did not mean pretty (as opposed to ugly) nor did I mean girly... On this occasion, I mean "it's what the pretty girls do," in other words... blending in with the crowd but trying to be more pretty than their competitors. It really just looks the same to me.

Regarding curved buttons... I'm a minimalist when it comes to both design + markup. On top of that there's recently been a huge initiative where I work to improve speed, pageload and performance (so that's my current mindset). Also, you & I have a different aesthetic (I've known that for a few years!) and probably some different priorities.

Another example is jQuery. I am a fan of using Javascript toolkits, especially when there is a quick turn-around required. Plus, any one can use them: I was proficient in jQuery before learning a lick of Javascript. But, they are heavy. And can easily get out of control... it took, I think six jQuery plugins to hook up a slider.

At the end of the day, these are the decisions that make us web developers... when is worth the extra page markup to improve the feel, what features will improve performance so nobody will mind the increased load time... etc.

BTW... forumhome2 currently has no styles at all
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads