Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Every now and then, I get a request from users asking to have their accounts deleted for a variety of reasons. I do not do this because:

1. Liability: should some serious situation arise, I may need to prove who was online, what was posted (for example, threats), and so on. Deleting a user permanently destroys the account.

2. Database relations: deleting accounts can cause relations within the database to be broken; explaining it further would require extensive knowledge of vBulletin's underpinnings.

3. Username imposing: another user can register under the same name as a deleted user and it would appear at first glance that the new user made all of the old user's posts. This can be chaotic for those who don't understand the past situation.

4. Legality: I am in no way required, under United States Law, to delete user accounts. I am required to have members opt out of certain communications such as forum-wide e-mails, for which there is a switch in the user CP to turn off these e-mails for yourself.

5. Other methods: if you want your account deleted for the reason of not coming back, we have other ways of doing that instead; namely, moving your account to an inactive usergroup which affectively makes you a guest.

6. Preventing abuse: by keeping banned accounts instead of deleting them, this offers further protection against WDF users from the offender attempting to register again.

7. Coming back: should a user want to rejoin after having his/her account deleted, it would be extraordinarily complicated to reinstate all of his/her PMs, threads, posts, calendar events, etc. back into any new account.

8. WDF's host's Acceptable Use agreement does not require administrators of a forum or other public gathering of users to delete users upon request.

Unless I see an actual section in United States law from an official US government web site (i.e., a domain with a .gov suffix that deals specifically with these matters) stating that I am required to remove accounts on request, this policy will stand. Thank you for your understanding.

If you want your account deleted, simply clear all of your information out of your profile, change your e-mail address to a dummy one, log out, and don't return.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads