Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Hey folks,

Just wanted to say a huge thanks. WDF hit 23,000 members a few days ago! Thats a fantastic achievement and we're glad you all seem to love the place

We've got some exciting stuff happening around here in a few months time. In the mean time, we hope you're enjoying the forums!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    as a newer member I think you guys have done a fantastic job with the site, more people will be taking part in the future im sure.

Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Nice! That's a big spurt recently!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Congratulations on the benchmark of members.

Are there any intentions to create a membership forum where there is a small monthly fee for members? Or even offer a free service plus a more advanced paid service.

This would help attract/keep serious members and the potential tire kickers would weed themselves out.

Looking at the existing site I can only see a couple of obvious monetization methods you guys are doing. Mainly AdSense and a few ad placements. These can't be raking in barrels of money which would offset the amount of time it takes to run this and to pay moderators to help keep it running smooth.

Just curious.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    PAY? I know not of what you speak lol!

What benefits would you want to see in a paid forum? Are you talking about a separate forum altogether, or a sub-forum?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Thanks for all your comments folks.

We have been thinking about an optional paid membership, however still currently feel that we couldn't justify charging members for access to one or two minor features such as access to a private forum and things such as more PM storage (it doesn't really cost anything in database space, so its not something we intend to limit). If you've got any requests/suggestions of features you would like as a premium member, please do let us know!

We've got some decent plans for the next year or so. For now - we are focussing on increasing the member base and bringing the forum into the future

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    What benefits would you want to see in a paid forum? Are you talking about a separate forum altogether, or a sub-forum?
    I was just curious about the business model and how the future growth of this forum will develop. No one I know exudes this much energy and time just because they love helping others. That may be a driving force behind it but you also have to at least recoup your costs.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by redefyned1 View Post
    I was just curious about the business model and how the future growth of this forum will develop. No one I know exudes this much energy and time just because they love helping others. That may be a driving force behind it but you also have to at least recoup your costs.
    Completely true. Obviously recouping costs is a priority. However we're first taking time to do some much-needed upgrades and improvements.

Next on the list is the design. Whilst the current design was only put up a few months ago, it was (and always will be) temporary. We're prepping a new design which will carry us on our current vB 3.8 system, as well as through to the new forum system we'll be moving over to. The idea being that whilst the site has run fantastically for the last 8 years, its time to look at the next 8 years and how we plan on bringing it up to the standard of some of the bigger players.

We're then rolling out some nice new features. We're currently researching the possibility of providing a large number of unique tools to aid in design, programming, management and marketing websites.

Whilst none of this will recoup costs, its getting the site in the state we feel will increase memberships and visits (which equals higher advertising revenue at the end of the day).

Rest assured, we're not going to burn out and get board/lazy

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Completely true. Obviously recouping costs is a priority. However we're first taking time to do some much-needed upgrades and improvements.
    Some improvements or suggestions I would make is not allowing new members to post any URLs until x amount of posts or x amount of time. This way you don't get as much SPAM. Plus, remove members who simply sign up to create a profile and never post. They are simply trying to get profile links back to their site(s) and are not contributing to the community.

I like the direction you are taking things. I think another monetization idea would be to offer some free tools as you mentioned but also have a higher tier paid section of tools.

Looking forward to the changes ahead.

mff
    Member #
    Congratulations!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads