Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    This weekend we'll be performing a major upgrade to WebDesignForums.net. After around 4 months of planning, we're happy to announce that we're moving to a new forum platform known as XenForo.

What is XenForo?
    For those who are not aware, XenForo was created by the two lead developers of the current software we use, vBulletin. We felt that it would be in the best interests of WDF if we were to move to a more modern codebase. This allows us to create custom modifications such as our SOTM and Website Ratings system with ease, and regularly roll out new features. Whilst vBulletin has been a fantastic product, its uncertain future was a primary concern.

Whats going to change?
    WDF will be getting a brand new, modern design. It seemed a bit silly that a Web Design orientated forum was using a fairly basic forum skin, so we pulled out all the stops and have a complete new identity, of which we've already given a few small previews.

We've rebuilt the Website Ratings system from scratch which now also takes a screenshot of the website to provide a visual preview of what the site looks like in a modern webkit based browser.

The SOTM system will be reintroduced within the next few months as we're still working on adding a few cool features.

We'll also be introducing regular design contests. These will be purely for fun where we create a fictitious brief (which will be intentionally incomplete) and you can design a website to meet the requirements as best as possible. We'll be offering a range of decent prizes for winners and runners up.

Other features include premium memberships with added benefits, a much faster forum experience and much more!

So, when will this be done?
    WDF will be offline for several hours over the weekend whilst we convert the site to use the new software. We opted to do this at the weekend as its when the site receives the lowest traffic.

Can we see what it looks like?
    Teaser Alert!

Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    2787 times
    Make sure it's all done Saturday. I have to clean the bathroom, go to the gym and then watch The Expendables with my buddies in the evening.

Sunday, I'm not as busy, so everything should be done by then.

Please ensure the upgrade fits around my schedule. Anyone else's schedule is not of concern.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Wow can't wait! Im a relatively new member so forgive me for asking. What's the SOTM system? Looking forward to the new look and functionality that XenForo will bring.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonic View Post
    Wow can't wait! Im a relatively new member so forgive me for asking. What's the SOTM system? Looking forward to the new look and functionality that XenForo will bring.
    The SOTM system is the 'Site of the Month'. We stopped it for this month due to the pending upgrades. Basically you can enter your site, and the site with the most votes wins and gets a month of free promotion all over WDF!

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    I think that means Site Of The Month
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Rick beat me to it! LOL
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Excellent! Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    All going well we'll be starting the upgrade in the next couple of hours. Don't be alarmed if you get faced with a bunch of warnings, errors or 404's!

Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    Wow, the new site looks AMAZING!!!!

AWESOME JOB GUYS!!!!

;-)

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads