Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Do you have an RSS reader?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (Trillian, etc.)

5 38.46%
  • No

6 46.15%
  • What's RSS? (it's this)

1 7.69%
  • I'll get one if WDF supports it!

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RSS Readers

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    In case you were speculating as such, I've been considering adding an RSS syndication system to WDF that lists the latest 10 threads. This is built into vB3, but it seems simple enough to code right now.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I don't know what RSS is, but I do have trillian... what is it?
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    RDF Site Summary (RSS) - also referred to as Rich Site Summary - is a method of describing news or other Web content that is available for "feeding" (distribution or syndication) from an online publisher to Web users. RSS is an application of the Extensible Markup Language (XML) that adheres to the World Wide Web Consortium's Resource Description Framework (RDF). Originally developed by Netscape for its browser's Netcenter channels, the RSS specification is now available for anyone to use.

A Web site that wants to "publish" some of its content, such as news headlines or stories, creates a description of the content and specifically where the content is on its site in the form of an RSS document. The publishing site then registers its RSS document with one of several existing directories of RSS publishers. A user with a Web browser or a special program that can read RSS-distributed content can read periodically-provided distributions. Some current directories of RSS files include Meerkat, GropSoup, NewsIsFree, UserLand, and XML Tree; these sites are sometimes known as content aggregators. RSS browsers include Headline Viewer and Novobot.

News is only one form of content that can be distributed with an RSS feed. Other possibilities include discussion forum excerpts, software announcements, and any form of content retrievable with a URL.
    Example: http://www.odcsfl.com

On the front page you'll see a series of links to HardOCP.com. That's a php script on that site grabs the latest headlines from an RSS file that hardocp.com hosts and automatically updates with another script.

That's a great add-on for vB3. Can't wait to see that in full effect. Trillian wil go nuts! Gives me an idea for the future. A person can put in the basic info on a page, i.e. server name, RSS file location, and then it spits out the code for a newbie to throw up on their page... Transio... you can hear the code calling can't you??? As soon as my web design PC is up and running again, I'll look more into doing this...
    (The preceding paragraph is COPYRIGHT WIRED 2003)
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    This sounds cool. If we download an RSS reader, is this a program that updates in real time?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    You can set it to how often you wish it to check. Because many computers checking for updates many times can bog down a server, the RSS hosting site usually will limit how often they update the file and how often users are allowed to check for updates. Like an FTP site or IM server limiting how often you attempt to authenticate with them, a correctly set up server will temporarily / permanently block an IP that hits it in rapid succession with RSS update requests. When I get home I'll throw up a link to a free RSS / RDF reader. It comes with ~ 50 to 100 links already set up inside it. There's an old tutorial set up somewhere on WDF that Filburt set up I think that takes the text from an RSS / RDF file and turns it into a pic. Kewl stuff, but it needs an update sorely.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Added an option to the poll so I could vote. :ichatangel:

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I think that would make an EXCELLENT addition... espcially while I'm at school and have trillian running all day long. How would it show up on trillian exactly? Just a separate window? I'd be really interested in how this works as I'm always clicking the "view latest threads" button

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It would update every 5 or so minutes with new threads. I'm working on the script now but PHP doesn't seem to have a standardized XML authoring facility (only XML reading).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Originally posted by filburt1
    It would update every 5 or so minutes with new threads. I'm working on the script now but PHP doesn't seem to have a standardized XML authoring facility (only XML reading).
    I think I have some links about that at home, I'll see what I have about this and post them later.

Update: Just found these, hope they help.
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...l?tw=authoring
    http://gils.utah.gov/rss/
    http://www.oreillynet.com/rss/
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I just found out there's a quick RSS Feeder for Mozilla Firebird Extention called aggreg8... excellent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads