Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Normally I wouldn't post this sort of thing as an announcement, but because it's spreading so ridiculously fast, I thought I should.

There is a flaw in the implementation of Windows' Remote Prodecure Call (RPC) service or a parent or child service that can run arbitrary code on your system. There are two possible fixes (the RPC service cannot be safely disabled):

1. Block port 135. However, users reported that ZoneAlarm doesn't make a difference, strangely. However, my hardware-based router is stopping various random attacks to this port already which suggests that because ZA depends on Windows, it is not a useful tool for this hole.
    2. Apply the fixes listed by CERT at http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2003-16.html .
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Just went to Windows Update, and they have the fix in there too (#823890). Thanks for the heads up Filburt.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    After finding out someone setup a fileserver off a computer at work (Trojan).... I found out about this. And you know what I have to say to hackers?
    : ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************* and ***********
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

JR
    Member #
    Thanks
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Already patched! I know a couple of guys from addaboy that got slapped by it. Fortunately, messa behind router, so I'm safe!
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Damn... my computer at home has been on for a couple days with no firewall. I'm afraid what's happened to it !!!

Can we lose files because of this thing?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It basically allows a trojan/worm into your computer. It's doubtful that you'll loose files, but more likely that you'll have to reinstall your system if it's gotten into it too deep. Some trojans copy themselves into other windows services'.. the one I had copied itself into pretty much everything and there was no getting rid of it at that point...
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    If you have been infected, follow the removal instructions at
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...m.removal.html.
    There is a free removal tool provided with instructions at:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html
    -Andy Zmudosky

Member #
    Well luckily information was all over the net for finding out about this, and i managed to get rid of it quick, but i wonder if this will play as an active role on Microsofts behalf, supposedly the message which was implanted in the executable file from the virus said inside it "Billy Gates why do you make this possible? Stop making money and fix your software!!,"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...dows_worm_dc_3

From what it says, it seems like a pretty major virus, and with the amount of people who claim to have had it, in such a short time, it could become quite a problem

EDIT: Also if you're not sure if you have the virus, heres the message that appeared on my computer, i'm pretty sure it's the same for most other computers

http://members.lycos.co.uk/ultimatessj/errorc.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads