Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hi Guys,

Just wanted to pop this link to my latest blog entry on the Social Media aspects of website design with regards to clients apprehensions. It's based on my own personal experiences, and I thought someone might find it useful.
    http://www.digitalyak.co.uk/blog%20e...011032013.html

Cheers,

Matt
    Digital Yak

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    1. You should probably run spell check on your blog post.

Nothing turns a potential customer away / or screams unprofessional louder than common spelling and grammar. Even on your about us page, spelling errors.

2. This is a no follow forum ... So dropping links to articles won't get you but a handful of visits, and when they see the mis-spellings your credibility as a professional comes into question ( see # 1 )

3. The whole "social media is for every business" has been debunked thousands of times, so a more credible and believable scenario is "many businesses" not all.

Everytime someone mentions "social media is great", I ask a simple question that has yet to be answered.

How can social media help a global multi-million dollar business that only sells to other business ? Please provide a marketing strategy that uses social media for this business sector. Social media is focused on people to people, business to people only... Not business to business. So please tell me what social media strategy would be used to market a product that is sold to the energy sector.

I think I've actually posed this question 5-6 times on this forum, and have yet to get an answer, because there is no answer. So the phrase "every business" is a false statement at best, a flagrant marketing lie at worst.

3. Your vast experience, I'd really be hesitant to try and promote yourself or your business stating "my experience", your blog dates back to 08-2012, the domain was registered 07-2012.

I know, you supposedly did work for someone else prior to that, but most people are going to see your post on your blog start at 8-2012 ... So that's their starting point ... And yours, in their perception.

Truth of the matter is, the web design industry has suffered from so called "web designers" that really don't have a clue, or the sisters daughter that is taking a course in HS. Or the friend of a friend that has a copy of dreamweaver and is trying to make a go of it.

Business will hire someone to do their web site, sure they might get a pretty web site, but there is a whole lot more to this industry than just making pretty sites and social media.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hey Webzarus,

Thanks for reading my blog post, spelling is my kryptonite unfortunately, so I'll go back and check again, though I swear the gremlins change my work every night!

I am aware it's a no follow forum, I wasn't looking to drop links for any other purpose than to share my insights in the hope that some people might find my blog useful or at the least familiar to their own situation so they know that it's not just their own clients who have the same misgivings about using social media. I assumed the forum was meant for sharing information and ideas, next time I'll just paste is directly into the forum post if that meets your criterion more closely.

I don't think I ever claimed to have "vast" experience at any point in my article or on my site and yes I have only been freelancing for a short time, that is quite obvious so see from my rather spare blog postings: )

I do have a 1st BA in design and an MBA, plus I worked for several design firms over the last ten years both in the UK and Canada, so I do hope that's enough experience to meet your strict criteria for blogging on this forum.

As far as your b2b argument goes regarding the use of social media, my counter argument is this:

At some stage in the business to business sales process there is usually a non business consumer, whether that is a private consumer or a government organization. There are a lot of limits in the effectiveness of social media for a company just selling to other businesses; however, social media is a great way to conduct market research ( stay with me on this as I waffle on...) Any business that sells only to other businesses, by your argument, has no great reason to use social media, but my argument is that if the business you sell to, then sell their products or services to non business consumers, is it not in your best interest to know about your customers customer? Knowing your customer is a golden rule in business, and part of that is knowing who they sell their products and services too, you can use social media through your own business to connect with your customers market and this can give you the ability to react quickly if their market changes.

I don't think I ever made a claim that social media was the be all and end all of marketing, it's just a another part of your marketing strategy that can yield great results for little to no cash investment, but I believe it's an essential one in the modern market place.

It appears that my posting has touched a nerve with you at some stage and I can only apologise for this, but I'm not sure what part of it did exactly (other than my horrendous spelling). I think my education and work experience qualifies me to call myself a "web-designer" ( but please correct me if I'm wrong) funnily I do happen to use Dreamweaver, which you appear to mention with a touch or scorn , though I actually started my coding life using notepad ++. I use it now firstly because It makes my life easier, I still code from scratch btw, and also because I can afford it It's a great program and helps me make very "pretty" websites for my customers.
    I posted the link because I firmly believe its nice to share thoughts and advice others could find helpful or I wouldn't bother to do it, It's not all bad out there dude, try and look on the bright-side sometimes

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Thanks for clarifying...

Nope... I used DW daily, but haven't used anything but code view for the past 6-7 years with the rare occasion when I'm troubleshooting an application or page that has 3000 lines of code... Easy to go to split view, find the section in design view... Then select code view to actually work.

As for you interesting take on the B2b thing... No... Doesn't work that way.... You see the consumer has no idea that almost every electric product they touch may have this product in it, they could care less that this product is probably being used to take high voltage and step it down for their use. They darn sure dont care that this product is holding the catalytic converter on their car together.

I as well as the entire global marketing team knows the consumers / consumer... We've known for years, hence we know they have no idea where this product is used, and don't care... Just like they don't care about the MOV ( metal oxide varistors ) in their surge suppressors... Or who makes the LEDs in the big flat screen TV... Although a valiant attempt to answer the question, its one that can't be answered.

I know a guy that has great ideas, can spin some very captivating stories, but will never be taken seriously as a professional writer because of his spelling, I keep encouraging him to hire a "proof reader", he asked if I would... I told him he didn't have enough money... And after the first draft he'd probably drop me as a friend. There are professional copywriting and proofing services out there for the alphabetically challenged... One of the toughest things to do is proof your own work... Because you didn't see the mistake the first time around, you probably won't see it the second or third time.

A trick I learned a long time ago... I write copy, then print it double spaced. I let it sit for my morning coffee, and do all my proof reading in one sitting. Fresh eyes, see things that tired eyes and spinning minds don't see.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lootz Timone, post: 251759, member: 36497
    Social Media is good For business to business in the lever that it gives them a personality that sticks out from competitors. The bigger you become the more others would like to know what business buys from your business. Also spelling and grammar really does not make any difference. As long as you have good or useful information people will read it. I kind of like when I see errors, it feels more human.
    What you say... Is actually the kool-aid talking... Please give some specific examples to back up your statement. I really don't think you can as all SOCIAL media is designed specifically for business to individual ... Not business to business. My example of this is... If Facebook, twitter, etc... We're so great for B2B dealings ? Why is delta or AA not advertising to "travel agents"... Or "booking companies?"... Because there is no way to do it...

Instead of just repeating or copy/pasting what you have read ... Provide some specifics of successful B2B social marketing efforts ... If its so great, you should not have any problems finding some.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lootz Timone, post: 251763, member: 36497
    No I am fluoride free brother, as for my comment it was more of an opinion but I would love to brain storm some with ya. So lets examine your example a bit, Delta and AA are very big companies. There Advertising Department in my opinion is not doing such a great job. Then again they do not offer anything that makes them stand out from the other airlines. If they were to get creative such as for example built in massage chairs, Auto luggage organizer compartments with valet service, and maybe 3D glasses that fold down from the headrest that allows you to read your ebook or watch a movie then they would have a reason to use facebook, twitter, etc. When people go and ask the booking agent about it, the agent will realize they need to get on board with aa or delta whoever is leading this next generation of flying comfort. But at this point these companies are not in the green as such the economy is stagnant until something happens. Give me a more realistic company that needs this I am very creative. I believe only the people on the leading edge of there business will be using Social Media. Lets take bottling companies, I wish there was a bottling company that promoted that they use glass with ceramic caps instead of plastic bottling companies. If they promoted and made themselves known to social media maybe people will favor the juice brand that uses this bottling method in turn increasing revenue for both companies. And before you jump to conclusion homes, I don't cut and paste man give me some credit im new here. Just bored at work
    I don't have an issue with anyone stating their "opinion", but when opinion is presented as a statement of fact or whatever....

Funny thing is... Your original statement ... Not original... Probably been made several time on this forum... So that means your B2B statement has been reiterated thousands if not millions of times...

Still... All the "if they did this"... And "they did that"... Come on really... That doesn't fit into your "opinion" of how social media is good for business to business... Still business to individual...

So try another one...

Can't, oh well, neither has the other thousand people that make that statement either... Opinion or statement ... Doesn't / won't / can't work with social media as it is defined ( today )... Not saying something may come along where all the ...... Don't come up with "business channels", that require you to prove you are a legitimate business ... To be in the channel... Oh wait... They don't need that... Already have their distribution channels in place...

Remove Ads