Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Need help choosing a website builder for choosy boss.

ZLY
    Member #

Need help choosing a website builder for choosy boss.

Hi, as stated above I have been tasked to find the ultimate website builder, my boss is overly creative and a perfectionist. He wants the most advanced "trick" builder on the market. What he doesn't want is something fast, easy, and free/cheap.
    Believe it or not those are hard to avoid since that seems to be what everyone wants.
    He wants a wide variety of templates, but the freedom to build from scratch if he wants. Also video and audio capabilities appear to be of paramount importance to him.
    Most of all, options, options, options.
    We're not afraid of being overwhelmed by choices.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    ZLY

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Wordpress. I dont use it but this is the best i can recommend to you. Personally i dont think hes the perfectionist he claims(or you claim) he is if he is interested in using templates. The only way to have a site be perfect in my opinion is not using a template. Simple reason is if you use a template more than likely its being used elsewhere as well. If wanting to stand out this isnt the way to go, so it isnt the perfect choice.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    ZLY likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Congratulations, ZLY. You're completely screwed. Your boss is an absolute idiot, so you're completely screwed.

Here's why your boss is an idiot: you haven't defined what your site is about yet. You're looking for an editor that give you so many options that it could probably make you coffee if you wanted it to without any real idea of whether or not you'd even need the options in the first place. Here are 3303 plugins for W*rdPr*ss, for example. You won't use all of them. You can't use all of them. You just can't. So what are you going to do? You'll go through all of the plugins and try them out and get rid of the ones that don't work (if you remember) and probably have to customize the ones that "sort of work but don't do quite what we want" and spend all the time and energy and money retrofitting crap that you probably could have built less expensively from scratch.

Another aspect is "templates". Unless he's going to churn out sites like an assembly line making cars for Toyota (which in itself is a stupid idea, although it's been done on many occasions), then he only needs one, two, maybe three templates...at least one of which should be a custom template and won't entirely be designed within the "web builder" anyway, since things such as graphics are generally done using something like Photoshop.

Another aspect is server resources/hosting. You want bells and whistles, they take up resource. You pay for that resource usage. Quite a bit, actually. So best to avoid that idea.

The much smarter approach is to figure out what makes sense for HIS site, and then find or ideally build the tools required to get it there. If WP happens to be it, so be it,
    ZLY likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I think for builder he wants something like yahoo business rather than blogging platforms.

Member #
    Or try godaddy they have a lot of stuff coming up with their builder, including content, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I would suggest using Squarespace website builder for a few significant reasons:

1) Features are created really thoughtfully - it covers almost everything you need while building a website.
    2) It provides the latest templates so your website has no chance to look oldish.
    3) With its style editor you will receive thousands customizable settings.
    4) You will get CDN included into the service.
    5) Will be able to do image SEO campaigns.
    6) Various display effects.
    7) Videos in galleries are possible.
    8) Social links/open table blocks provided
    9) And many other features that you can find out more about at Feature Index ? Squarespace.
    Host1Plus.com USA | UK | Germany | South Africa | Brazil | Netherlands | Lithuania | sales@host1plus.com
    Powerful VPS Hosting SSD caching | IPv4 & IPv6 | 2 free backups | DNS management | 500 Mbps uplink
    Cloud Servers - Powerful API KVM Virtualization, Windows and Linux | 1 Free Ipv4
    Reseller Hosting Unlimited domains, sub-domains, databases | Free dedicated IP

Remove Ads