Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Lightbulb Restricted Christmas Calender Website

Hey guys,

Im looking for some assistance for a little Christmas project, that I have been thinking about for my current GF.

The idea in steps:

1: A responsive website (also available on mobile) created with a Christmas calender, where the visitor isnt able to open dates in the future. Only the current and previous dates.

2: Behind each date is a "pop up" or a scrollable text piece. Either some kind of CMS or static text.

How can this be done?. Is there a ready to go package somewhere or does it have to be coded from scratch?. If it has to be coded, how much would it cost to do?.

Any advice or assistance would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by TranceC; Oct 21st, 2015 at 12:50 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I say coded from scratch. You have very strict requirements, I'm not sure a ready to go solution would exist for your criteria.
    I'm not sure how the forum feels about pricing.
    I'm more than capable of writing a sweet website, I'm not really here for money.
    Cool idea though, kinda like a virtual Christmas countdown, but text instead of chocolate in the doors. Awesome.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by brandMatt View Post
    I say coded from scratch. You have very strict requirements, I'm not sure a ready to go solution would exist for your criteria.
    I'm not sure how the forum feels about pricing.
    I'm more than capable of writing a sweet website, I'm not really here for money.
    Cool idea though, kinda like a virtual Christmas countdown, but text instead of chocolate in the doors. Awesome.
    That's what I was thinking and was afraid of. Since I have absolutely no coding skills for something like this

Yeah different was what I was going for. Since everyone can go and buy a chocolate calender

Would you be interested in building something like this? Also is it possible to restrict the user for the current and previous dates? So she isn't able to cheat?

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    What about this being a collaborative project for the forum. Do they have contests on this forum? I'm kinda new here. Maybe a design a mockup contest? I was part of a video game forum that would hold tournaments for prizes, same with a psp forum I belonged to a long time ago.
    I would be willing to do any programmatic work on this project.
    What about a domain? I could host it during dev. But after a permanent host would be needed.
    A system with randomly served messages daily, and no user login would be much simpler.

You can keep track of what you days and corresponding message you have already opened in an associative-array inside of a cookie. A MySQL table for the messages found in each day.
    Last edited by brandMatt; Oct 22nd, 2015 at 11:46 AM.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by brandMatt View Post
    What about this being a collaborative project for the forum. Do they have contests on this forum? I'm kinda new here. Maybe a design a mockup contest? I was part of a video game forum that would hold tournaments for prizes, same with a psp forum I belonged to a long time ago.
    I would be willing to do any programmatic work on this project.
    What about a domain? I could host it during dev. But after a permanent host would be needed.
    A system with randomly served messages daily, and no user login would be much simpler.

You can keep track of what you days and corresponding message you have already opened in an associative-array inside of a cookie. A MySQL table for the messages found in each day.
    Well I would need it to be the complete system From coding to programming with mysql and stuff. Would that mysql be able to work with mobile users also?

I would maintain the domain registration afterwards when the time is up for the release Still got a few more suggestions for it, other than the 2 items in first post

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I like the idea of doing some collaborative work on here. If it weren't for the timing I'd be all in for this. My schedule is hectic for the next 6 months and I don't know if I could commit enough time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    I like the idea of doing some collaborative work on here. If it weren't for the timing I'd be all in for this. My schedule is hectic for the next 6 months and I don't know if I could commit enough time.

Good to know, that it's not a bad idea about the calendar 😁

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I wouldn't say its a bad idea completely. I mean it doesn't seem like a good business idea, but you don't seem to be in it for money or to start any sort of business. Maybe I am mistaken?

It may be the fact that I can remember having these advent calendars as a kid, but it does sound like a fun project to me.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    I wouldn't say its a bad idea completely. I mean it doesn't seem like a good business idea, but you don't seem to be in it for money or to start any sort of business. Maybe I am mistaken?

It may be the fact that I can remember having these advent calendars as a kid, but it does sound like a fun project to me.

Its a purely personal project Its a little game for my GF So nope. Not in it for the money or the glory

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I hope to finish it up over the weekend, the functionality anyways. The only thing left over is the saving what's already been opened part. It's connected to a media queries based style sheet, with average break points. I have very minimal css in place, just enough for layout.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads