Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Hi, newbie Dreamweaver CC user need direction on some page elements

Member #

Hi, newbie Dreamweaver CC user need direction on some page elements

Hello Everyone,
    Martin here, newbie to web design. (have done some basic personal webpage using html back in angelfire, tripod days)

I have downloaded Dreamweaver CC, and need some direction on how to put together some elements.
    (have youtubed 65+ video, but haven't found solution yet, I can do it in MS word, and convert it to html, but that had issues...) anyway

I have attached the image of what I am hoping to achieve.
    1. the header tabs, I don't want to use images because the font is not sharp, what do i use?

2. the gradient bar is what the head tabs sit on... what is the best way to join the tabs and the gradient bar?

3. There are 10 steps, and some sub steps... I don't want to use a table because the description varies in length, so i want to use shapes, but i don't know how to "float" them above the page.
    In MS Word i can just drag and drop shapes onto the page... is there something similar for dreamweaver ?

Apologies if I posted in the wrong section, thanks in advance,
    Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    The only advice I can give is to hire a pro. It is the same advice I often give to these sorts of questions. Everything you want is completely achievable. Drag and drop isn't the most effective way to get things done, in my humble experience.

1. use gradients for the bg and html text/ links for the text.
    2. use css to join them, margin, padding and display properties are your friends
    3. if you don't want to go for a table (your reason for not using one seems silly), use nested divs instead and some more css to lay them out.
    4. I know you haven't mentioned it, so this is purely an assumption. Don't use an image of a gradient for the 'gradient bar'. Use CSS gradients instead. It's one less request at load time.

I'm sure my answer will lead to more questions, this is exactly why I suggest hiring a pro. They would/should even look at the UX.
    Last edited by brandMatt; Nov 24th, 2015 at 08:58 AM.
    martinSydney likes this.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    thanks BrandMatt for the quick reply, and thank you so much for giving me some much needed direction

I am trying to become a pro hence I am learning dreamweaver.

4. Loadtime not an issue, because it will be internal business webpage

3. I had a play this morning (6am... lol) and yes Table definitely is a better solution (just join different tables). and i will insert arrow shapes into each cell.

Additional Question:
    I have now run into the issue of trying to write text (custom size) on top of images.
    ie I have an image in the cell and I am trying to have a description (like BOLD "Step 1" in front of the image). google mentioned a "tag editor" which is missing in dreamweaver CC.
    much appreciated if you can share some insight as to how I can put text in front of images within tables.

thank you once again

Martin

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by martinSydney View Post
    thanks BrandMatt for the quick reply, and thank you so much for giving me some much needed direction

I am trying to become a pro hence I am learning dreamweaver.

4. Loadtime not an issue, because it will be internal business webpage

3. I had a play this morning (6am... lol) and yes Table definitely is a better solution (just join different tables). and i will insert arrow shapes into each cell.

Additional Question:
    I have now run into the issue of trying to write text (custom size) on top of images.
    ie I have an image in the cell and I am trying to have a description (like BOLD "Step 1" in front of the image). google mentioned a "tag editor" which is missing in dreamweaver CC.
    much appreciated if you can share some insight as to how I can put text in front of images within tables.

thank you once again

Martin
    Pros don't learn DW. Adobe doesn't even like DW as much anymore. Heres the deal, DW at its best is an over glorified text editor full of useless tools. Thats if you're using DW the right way. If you're using it the wrong way then you're using it like a WYSIWYG editor and its causing bloated code and actually holding you back from learning proper code.

As far as the tabs are concerned. Try looking into jQuery UI. They have it built already and you would just edit to your liking. It will save you time and you can pick at the code and see how it works.

Don't use a gradient image, even if you are not worried about load times now, a pro should and its better to start learning how now. Css gradients aren't hard to learn just try it out.

As far as how to add text over an image, it can be done a few ways. One way would be to simply make the image a background for a div that has the text that you want/need.

Take the time to learn Html/Css. If you want to be a pro you sort of have to. They are included in almost all websites. If you can ditch DW do it now! It will save you in the long run with learning. Plus it will save you money if you're paying for it. You could pick up Adobe Brackets which is free and as the name suggests from the same people that make DW. There are also Notepad++ and Sublime Text 2 that I have used and would recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    martinSydney likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Pros don't learn DW. Adobe doesn't even like DW as much anymore. Heres the deal, DW at its best is an over glorified text editor full of useless tools. Thats if you're using DW the right way. If you're using it the wrong way then you're using it like a WYSIWYG editor and its causing bloated code and actually holding you back from learning proper code.

As far as the tabs are concerned. Try looking into jQuery UI. They have it built already and you would just edit to your liking. It will save you time and you can pick at the code and see how it works.

Don't use a gradient image, even if you are not worried about load times now, a pro should and its better to start learning how now. Css gradients aren't hard to learn just try it out.

As far as how to add text over an image, it can be done a few ways. One way would be to simply make the image a background for a div that has the text that you want/need.

Take the time to learn Html/Css. If you want to be a pro you sort of have to. They are included in almost all websites. If you can ditch DW do it now! It will save you in the long run with learning. Plus it will save you money if you're paying for it. You could pick up Adobe Brackets which is free and as the name suggests from the same people that make DW. There are also Notepad++ and Sublime Text 2 that I have used and would recommend.

^^^ This is absolutely golden!

The last time I opened DW was in school. When I started my own business I opted for something a little more simple. I have never been fond of WYSIWYG editors, they offer less control of the code if you are using only the visual side of things. I was never very fond of DW templating system either, is seem just plain silly, way too much extra code, furthermore it limits you to only use DW for that template. What I did like about DW was the IDE and the project panel. Both are way better in my editors of choice. I absolutely love Coda 2 and Sublimetext. My only issue with ST is all the functionality that I like doesn't come preinstalled, but they have an excellent plugin system. Coda in general is great, but it's a mac only application.
    -
    I personally wouldn't use jQuery UI, as I would sooner build a tab system with js from scratch, but it is great for a beginner.
    martinSydney likes this.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    I was trying use DW (thinking it was still industry standard software) when I started out learning and had all the same techniques of building web pages as the OP, as I progressed in learning I quickly learned otherwise. Why isn't DW dead by now anyway?
    bleau canon and martinSydney like this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I don't know why its not dead yet. My dislike for it comes from how much it impaired my learning when I first started. There are some people that like it for legitimate reasons I guess? I just don't know any reasons myself.

martinSydney and bleau canon like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Deepends on the site and color your use, try to get review from your friends or some microtask sites when the site si made in both format based on that make your decision.
    martinSydney likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJseo View Post
    Deepends on the site and color your use, try to get review from your friends or some microtask sites when the site si made in both format based on that make your decision.
    Getting reviews from friends is a horrible idea, unless they are designers themselves. Never ever ever ever ask non designer friends/family for help! They will all have an opinion on what is wrong, but none of it will be made from design logic. Trust me, don't listen to this guy!

Member #
    thank you very much everyone on your tips and directions.
    I will post up how my approach over the weekend
    cheers
    Martin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads