Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: Its design principles

Member #

Its design principles

Design Principles: Emphasis, contrast, balance, flow, alignment, repetition, images
    Emphasis
    Integrate Dominance (what is important) and Subordination (guiding and supporting the focal point or dominant element. Use Isolation, proximity and similarity to influence the emphasis of certain page aspects.
    Contrast
    Contrast is the difference between elements on a page. This aids in organising information (through varying degrees of contrast), creating focus (focal points) and adding attractiveness to the site.
    Balance
    Can be either symmetrical or asymmetrical, radial or crystallographic as balance refers to the visual weight of the different elements of the page.
    Flow
    Compositional flow and structure – gestalt principle (the layout and shape of the overall design has the initial and most important impact on the viewer) f design, z design
    Alignment
    Edge alignment, centre alignment, negative alignment (used to increase the simplicity of the design and visual congruency)
    Repetition
    Repeating visual elements tends to unify the total effectiveness of an image or site, as well as creating rhythm, also aids in simplicity and consistency, fulfilling ockham’s razor
    Theories
    Ockham’s Razor
    Avoid over complicated design, information and instructions. (entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity)
    Hick’s Law
    The time it takes to make a decision as the number of alternatives increases.
    Fitt’s Law
    The easier a target is to identify and the shorter the distance, the quicker the task can be performed.
    Rule of thirds
    The lines drawn by a 9x9 grid pose as the most aesthetically pleasing areas of the design and should be used as the focal points of the graphic.
    Pareto Principle
    This states that 80% of viewers only retain 20% of information, therefore efficiency and simplicity is key (supports Ockham’s razor).
    Signal to Noise ratio
    This theory states that important information should be rid of noise and should not contain false and irrelevant information.
    Law of Perceptible information
    Unless information is construed in an easy to understand manner, positive responses will be decreased.
    Areas of Improvement
    Navigation Bar
    Important aspect so needs dominant emphasis, high contrast and should fulfil the laws of Ockham’s razor, Pareto Principle, Hick’s law and the law of perceptible information. Use the code for a navigation bar (spry or real) to show how this can be done.
    Colour and font
    Colour must have a consistent use of either complementary, warm/cool, achromatic or split harmony colours to create visual harmony or disharmony. The font must reflect the colour choice and decisions to include either a serif or sans serif font must be justified (show the coding for changing the colours and font)
    Visual Hierarchy
    This is the most important part of the design and refers to the application of Fitt’s law, as well as the use of emphasis and balance. Look at the wireframe for the design, including commentary on colour and font choices as well as applications of different theories.
    Use of Images
    This applies to use of the rule of thirds, alignment, flow and repetition. Images are vital as they communicate information faster, therefore negating the issues associated with misuse of Ockham’s razor, Pareto Principle and the law of perceptible information.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This is a test because I smell bot.

John Cena sucks!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    This is a test because I smell bot.

John Cena sucks!
    Are you sure you're not just smelling what the Rock is cookin'?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No...I'm a certified G and a bonafide stud, and you can't teach dat!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads