Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Need Advice for Building a Website

I am looking to make a website for a startup business that I am working on. The boiled down premise and the idea for the website i want to build is the idea of making a website that can integrate accounts that can be matched to each other based on certain characteristics and parameters from within each account. The most similar thing I can think of is the idea behind Tinder. While I am not looking to create a service that you need to "swipe right" on each account one at a time.

The other part for it once there are accounts is that they can be matched based on similarity. This will take an algorithm I assume. I don't know how to code this sort of an algorithm but I was thinking there may be some sort of open source code?

Hopefully my idea makes sense. I would love some input, advice, or direction from anyone who is willing to lend a hand or their two cents.

Thanks,
    Owen

Member #
    Liked
    2763 times
    Having built similar things for products...they don't really exist. You can build scoring algorithms and similar things using databases without necessarily delving into server-side programming (SQL Server is surprisingly good at this in particular), but I haven't seen anything "off the shelf" myself and probably wouldn't use it if I did.

It also depends on what you're trying to match together. You say "characteristics" and "parameters" from an "account" and trying to match them on "similarity" (not quoting to be mocking...just to illustrate a point). The problem with "similarity" as it pertains to matching things is that "similarity" is a relative term. What is similar to you may not always be similar to me. At this point, you enter what's known as fuzzy logic in programming...and this is an area that's all kinds of nasty. It's usually easy enough to get the basics of something going, but then you have to go through several iterations to get it to a user-friendly level. I did this recently with a similar products algorithm for a third-party shopping cart for a client...it took me four tries to get the algorithm down pat, and I got very lucky in that there were only approx. 2000 products and I could use certain criteria for initial filters (matching categories, etc.)

Whatever you're doing sounds like it could be interesting, but either it's over your head or you're going to spend a lot of time learning, building, trying, tweaking, getting pissed off, tweaking some more, throwing things at walls, tweaking some more, yelling in the faces of puppy dogs, tweaking some more, setting old women on fire, tweaking some more, and getting it right after that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I use Wordpress themes for my websites.The design is user friendly and the themes look very good. Take a look at this site as an example.

Member #
    Liked
    269 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyHarris View Post
    I use Wordpress themes for my websites.The design is user friendly and the themes look very good. Take a look at this site as an example.
    And just how does this offer anything worth adding to this thread. Wordpress would be a horrible choice for the OPs idea. It appears that you are here simply for your link-drop. I am sure a mod will soon remove it.

Remove Ads