Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Member #
    I dislike CMS also.But it can save my time

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GameBungie View Post
    I dislike CMS also. CMS don't teach you anything nor are they ever good.
    I personally disagree. When I first started out programming I learnt a lot more from downloading scripts (mainly cms's and different modules) and looking to see how they work and how certain bits of code / functions can be actually used in a production environment as opposed to just how it works.
    Mike Barlow
    WDF Co-Owner

Need help? PM Me!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Agreed Mike, I learned a lot about templating, specifically, by working with CMSes.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am a Joomla fan... Probably would be fans of other systems if I had experience too...

CMS isn't by definition for the client's benift... I really benift from having sites which I manage for the client via the CMS... If clients can use them then that's a bonus... I charge them for training or make a selling point that they get free training. I also send them to my web design site by adding my training material there...

How much of the CMS you use depends completely on the project...

I for example sometimes only use the backend of Joomla... IE the part that populates the database and manages menus... and make a complete full custom front end with no native code at all...

I love the rewrite module which kicks *** from a SEO point of view...

Joomla even gives you the option to change texteditor - personally not a fan of tinymce to it's well worth replacing it with something a little less annoying!

There is also no reason why some parts of the site can be CMS and others not... I normally make a modification that if an externsion file name exists to a page request (URI) then I load that into my template along with extra scripting etc...

Once you have full command of your CMS (and PHP say) there should be no difference from a standard web site except you have the facility to manage some or all!...

I personally don't want to spend much time mucking about with content, I want to get on with the technical stuff...

Surely they just make everyones life more easy?? :-)

-Hagen
    Hagen Rose: hagen(at)jxwd(dot)co(dot)uk
    JX Web Development, Bournemouth, Dorset...JXWD.co.uk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads