Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by drpepper397 View Post
    Hi everybody,

I'm a free lance web designer. I do all my code by hand (I use Dreamweaver just for the auto-complete), and all my sites are XHTML compliant and 100% custom, at an insanely cheap price (I'm a student, and even I think I'm underselling myself). I also write my own PHP and JavaScript from scratch.

But the one feeling that I can't help shake is that website designers like myself will be replaced by Content Management Systems in the near future. My hosting/domain name re-seller (http://roundhousedomains.com) offers a CMS in which a person can create a fully functional website in under an hour =-O. How are web designers supposed to compete with that?

I know that CMSs can't write scripts, or really do any custom database work, but I'm sure that'll change in a short while.

Am I the only one who feels this way? What are your thoughts?
    I dont, I use CMS joomla only atm and you still need a web designer/developer. They use templates, whihc are in essence designs - each oner had to be customized and lots of code work to make it do somehting special... relax it another web design tool

Member #
    I thought the same. CMS will probably not do that, because there are more like me. I like writing code, starting from blank. I do not enjoy using CMS to make a website. Though, I do believe that many who don't enjoy writing code, don't like the patience, or just want to create an easy site, will always use CMS. But there will always be a percentage of developers, who are willing to create a site without CMS.

Member #
    NOT A CHANCE!

Until "Quality" CMS systems all of a sudden give you a magic ability to edit and insert PHP and JQuery, there is no threat to real web designers...

Sure people can just download for example "Wordpress or MyBB", but you really do need to understand Javascript, CSS, PHP, and in some cases JQuery in order to edit the templates... Otherwise - why would you want to stick to a template that someone else made - "someone = real web designer"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    CMS is very useful thing to manage sites, I can't imagine how to work without now.

Member #
    If you're talking about the free stuff like on Wordpress.com... it is extremely limited...

Even if you install a CMS onto your own hosting account you still have to protect it...

in the end its either have limited use (or) get a hosting account or your own server and have full use but have to protect an maintain yourself

Member #
    why would you want to stick to a template that someone else made
    To not pay a web designer. Obviously.

Replacing a built in template cliche with one you pick yourself still makes it a tired, boring "me too" site. Being technically original "in your own mind" matters not one whit to visitors to the site.

People are making custom, from scratch sites, that look exactly like any template design. The highest goal of any design today is to look just like a template. I mean absolutely indistinguishable, aside from the irrelevant fact the guy who built it knows.

The stock photos aren't of the client. The text could apply to any client. The gimmicks are the favorites of every client. What the heck is custom about that?

The minor triumph that you built something nobody else on earth can tell from a template is no claim for a designer to make.

Member #
    I am booked solid with work from those non-designers attempting to do their own sites with cms's. My service is more "hybrid", where they get to do the easy work, and I'm there for all the difficult stuff they can't do.

If you think creatively, you'll find a market for your skills.

Member #
    In my opinion CMS software will never replace a true designer simply for the fact that even with a CMS or some other type of script you still need to have the skill set not only to design the site, logos, etc but also to hand code additions to the existing code in order to not only make each site in some way unique but also to make things function in what ever way you or your client deem necessary. Sure some things will never be the same but all in all it gives you as the web developer more options and opportunities to express your true talent and out of the box thinking while allowing you to streamline the process of building the site.
    Me and my team currently offer many unique services and are constantly thinking outside the box in order to meet customer demand. Because as many of you know customer satisfaction is always the most important part of any successful business model. The most important thing for everyone to remember is that like any other part of the tech industry we constantly have to "up" our game in order to not only stay current with the times but to continue to satisfy customers and exceed their expectations. Those firms that do not do this will find themselves quickly left behind the competition.
    The best advice I can give to anyone working in the web design field? Continually work to hone your skill set and work to learn at least the basics of as many coding languages as you can because even using a CMS the need to know html, php, css, javascript, etc is still just as real as if you were hand coding the entire page, and if anything the need almost becomes more real if your using any "aftermarket" software, like plugins, etc as more times then not you'll have a need to modify the software in some way to make everything work as you and your customer envision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads