Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I've been doing HTML coding, some SQL, some PHP and Dreamweaver websites, all custom, from scratch for a long time. I am now branching out my customer base and some are requesting the ability to do their own updates. I have absolutely no experience with CMS systems.

Can I get your feedback on how or what I should use... and can I still create custom sites? And can I only allow certain parts to be edited?

Member #
    Hi,
    I use cms all the time. I looked at the three best free ones - Joomla, drupal, wordpress(more of a blog - but still a cms/website) They all had learning curves. In the end i erad a lot of reviews - experimented and went with joomla. Its really worth it. If I can I make every site a CMS now - even for my owne ase of use

Member #
    Thanks for the reply. My SO's coworkers swear by wordpress, but their website work is much different than mine. And if it's mostly blog?? Hmmm I'm not following well without having seen any of this stuff in play. I have another friend just getting into Joomla, so I may start shadowing him.

Now do they allow you to copy a website into it? Or do you have to start from scratch and how custom can you get?

Member #
    i started with wordpress and turfed it - joomla is 10 times better.

you can use joomla for both blog and sites - i am doing a full shop online with it atm

nohting you cant do on it. and its seriiously well supported

Member #
    um you cant copy a website, you need to find a template for it thats close to your site and swop in your images and then redsign it via the templates css and php and html files.

all your contnet you add in via the back end

I advise getting some joomla videos on youtube opr the joomla forums

Member #
    Check out Concrete5. They've worked hard to try and take the learning curve away from both the designer and the end user. And if I may say, they've done a great job with it (and it's a great CMS too!).

Member #
    Following Randi's question, as I understand it, you must use Joomla's templates.
    How much does Joomla cost?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryJo View Post
    Following Randi's question, as I understand it, you must use Joomla's templates.
    How much does Joomla cost?
    Its free, and huge, there are a lot of free templates and extensions - there are also thousands of people selling templates and exteansions to it. template prices range from $30.oo to quite a bit from custom. An experienced web developer will have no problem getting into it at all.

etm
    Member #
    I second the above recommendation for Concrete5. Your clients will thank you for the wonderful end-user experience.

Also, when you need a really simple CMS for smallish sites look at:

PulseCMS
    Pulse CMS

or CushyCMS
    Free and simple CMS CushyCMS

Member #
    There is a lot of CMSs on the market these days. Each can work for you in the different cases. For example, Wordpress is good for blogging, Joomla is huge and popular, and free . If you want something stable, well supported and secure you should choose paid software, but it really depends on your client's website purpose.
    ToThePoint Solution Web Design Company - To-The-Point Web Solutions built with 100% focus on the business needs.
    Unicorn CMS - essential functionality and the stable foundation for building your website!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads