Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    etm
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartNetNYC View Post
    @AlphaMare

We've been pushing the CMS for about $6,500. And it's not an open source such as WordPress.
    Ummm... wow. I think you just answered your own question as to why clients are not interested. Not even in the ballpark with CMS systems that do charge.

Honestly, and I am not being rude, I am only asking. Did you guys do any real market research before starting this?

If you want to look at some successful CMS systems (powering 85,000 sites, some global brands in the case of Umbraco) that monetize, see below:

Umbraco - http://umbraco.org/
    CMS is free, modules and support are monetized

Expression Engine - http://expressionengine.com/
    Commercial License $299

Concrete5 - http://www.concrete5.org/
    CMS is free, higher end modules (eComm etc) $50-$100 < The most common model for opensource projects and developers to generate some income.

Banned
    Member #
    The only way I would go with a web design company that is offering their own CMS is if they've been around a LONG time. In other words why would I pay for a cms when there are great open source ones out there that have been around for years and are still actively developed?

What type of issues does your CMS fix that you found in the open source CMS's?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i think the estimation of value by you guys is premature. have you seen the product? but yeah, not knowing what other options customers have is a clue that not a lot of research was done before the build. at any rate 6,500 is not unheard of. real custom work is very expensive. i don't use CMSs or reuse other peoples graphics. there is no way i would take a job for what most of you will.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I like soholaunch as it is easy to use for clients and web masters, also incorporates an eCommerce section.

I have created a few sites using this cms software, check them out on my site.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartNetNYC View Post
    @AlphaMare

We've been pushing the CMS for about $6,500. And it's not an open source such as WordPress.
    I reacted pretty much the same way as etm did. That's wicked high.

Look at it this way...try selling this to a mom-and-pop. They'd have to spend $6,500 plus the cost of developing a site to fit the CMS (which probably would be another 4-digit figure...for argument's sake, let's say $1,500). Then there's promotion of the site. Then there's the costs, both time and money, of maintenance of the site. Before long, you're well into 5 digits and changes are the client doesn't have much more than a basic site. A mom-and-pop operation just isn't going to pay that, even if they could afford to.

I agree with Dorky as well...you don't want to slit your own throat either. There are enough people in this industry who do that for the rest of us. But by the same token, you're too far the other way.

With no sarcasm intended whatsoever, I would suggest moving the decimal place in your CMS cost one point to the left as a bare minimum in order to remain competitive.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    who can afford it

all in all, we've made a few sales. it all comes down to what clients can afford it. ideally, we would rather make $65,000 with 10 websites built at $6,500 a pop, oppose to $65,000 with 40+ websites built at $1,500 a pop. less man hours for us to implement everything. thanks for the insight everyone! it's much appreciated.

etm
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorky View Post
    real custom work is very expensive. i don't use CMSs or reuse other peoples graphics. there is no way i would take a job for what most of you will.
    That's not really the topic, we're not talking about a custom CMS built for every client. Its one they created to sell "off the shelf" to clients. It sounds like the license to just use the CMS was $6500, excluding any labor. If we were talking custom work, than sure, a different story.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads