Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    What is the best free open source Content Management System on the market? We've tried Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal, and had afew problems with all of them. We ended up developing our own CMS, but most new clients are drawn off by the price tag. It's looking like our investment in developing our own CMS might be a lost cause. Any suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    If you have already developed your own CMS, why not price it down so you can keep the clients? I would think that it would be better to have more clients at a lower price, than have an unused CMS sitting around not earning you a penny.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Free and simple CMS CushyCMS

no way. if you are going to integrate a cms into the site, they need to pay for it. otherwise you are just pushing down the market value of web development. i'm in no rush for a race to the bottom.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    if you are going to integrate a cms into the site, they need to pay for it. otherwise you are just pushing down the market value of web development. i'm in no rush for a race to the bottom.
    I think perhaps I have not expressed myself clearly. I am ABSOLUTELY AGAINST underpricing our work - I get upset when I see people offering "complete websites " for $399.

I am not talking about giving away the CMS for free - but pricing it at a reasonable level. If the CMS is something you know you are going to use again and again, factor the cost of it into the price the same way you would factor in the purchase of a your other software. For example, I use Adobe software. I'm sure we all know it is not cheap. So I try to price my work in such a way so that over a reasonable amount of time I will be able to recoup the price of the software. But I don't charge my clients the total cost of it each time, I spread it out.

A CMS that is custom-made by a developer is programming that can be used again and again, and by the same token, perhaps spreading the cost of the development over several clients would work better than charging each client the whole shot, and thereby pricing yourself out of range for many potential clients.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Well the problem with all the free CMS is that well..there free. if the clients are not willing to pay for your cms then build it in a free cms. in the end you get what you pay for and if they want a good site then they will need to pay for it.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Red Racer - Are you reading what I am saying - NOT FOR FREE! Just reasonable.

For example: if it costs $5000 to develop the CMS, then $1000 plus design fees to each of your clients will end up earning you money after the first 5 clients, whereas $5000 plus the same amount of design fees will scare them off.

SmartNetNYC -
    We ended up developing our own CMS, but most new clients are drawn off by the price tag.
    So how much were you charging for the CMS, anyway?

Member #
    firstly this was aimed at SmartNetNYC, and no i don't mean build it for free. let me rephrase. i have used word press and joomla and yes they are horrible to use as a website designer, but what im saying is if they don't like your custom cms asking price then build the clients site in joomla or whatever for slightly cheaper. But show them the limitations of joomla at the start and try to persuade them. If you don't succeed then perhaps the next client might see your views.

Anyway that's just my 2cents

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you are looking like blogging system the wordpress is pretty best for this. Its comes with lot of useful plugins.
    Hosting On Web - A web hosting company.

etm
    Member #
    Why did you develop the CMS? Was it to sell to clients or to the mass market? Why do you think that yours would be a better option than the dozens of established, free, open-source versions? Does it improve on product or market deficiencies? Many clients do not want to have their site built in a custom CMS knowing that A) They are paying for something that has powerful, free alternatives; and B) they are locked into a system that is not widely supported, often forcing them to remain your client unwillingly.

Charge them for the labor involved in developing their CMS-based site, but best of luck convincing customers to pay for your CMS software rather than use a free one. You have to see the value in a CMS as a platform and the monetary return in the actual development time of a client's project using the CMS as the framework.

I am not sure if you did market research first, but you'll see there are a lot of larger design/dev companies that developed in-house CMS systems and have since released them as open-source projects as the market has changed.

Member #
    @AlphaMare

We've been pushing the CMS for about $6,500. And it's not an open source such as WordPress.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads