Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gav
    Member #
    Hey,

I've built a few basic ECommerce websites before and have used either Interspire, a Custom CMS or just PayPal buttons.

I'm needing to build a basic ECommerce website and my web programmers are saying that ECommerce (using ZenCart or OSCommerce) is particularly difficult and that there are very long hours of html/css coding to be done for many various pages on the website (homepage, product page, checkout pages etc..).

Is this true or does it just sound ridiculous?

Also, can anybody make a solid recommendation for a basic ECommerce website (design won't be too out there)

Thanks,

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It depends on the website and what they sell and their target market.

No matter how you slice it, however, an e-commerce site will be difficult. If you go the open source route (big mistake when it comes to e-commerce), you'll have to spend a lot of time modifying the layout and code to suit your needs. If you go the custom route, you'll have to spend a lot of time coding things from scratch, unless you already have a code base from which to work.

Personally, I go the custom route. Inevitably, the truly popular and successful e-commerce platforms go custom at some point anyway, so I figure I mighta s well start there in the first place. There's a reason things like Amazon, eBay, etc. aren't open source or third-party software.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads