Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Damn right I'm not...on all counts.

Besides, what I build for one person isn't the same as what I build for another person. I tailor the CMSes to the specific needs and desires of each client. So there isn't one CMS as such. They're all different because everyone has different needs.

It's not that I'm afraid to share knowledge, but 1) I'd have to open up every CMS I ever built; 2) what I build by Ontario law is considered client intellectual property, so I couldn't legally share this stuff even if I wanted to; 3) there's a security issue with doing so that I'm not comfortable with; and 4) I'd probably spend more time explaining why client X has a WYSIWYG editor whereas client Y doesn't and go through a whole thing that would ultimately take way too long to be a productive exercise when what it boils down to is "the client asked for/wanted this, so I gave it to them."

Now, this doesn't mean that I start from scratch as such each time. I have code libraries, images, and various other things I can draw from when I start. So for me, building the admin is a lot easier than it would be for most. But as Mare said, there's been 12 years' worth of code that I've added, deleted, modified, updated, and tweaked just about every way imaginable.

If you want to see some of what I do that uses some form of a CMS, anything in my portfolio that uses the phrase "self-admin" does. So does Strike Spots, although I have to work on the editor for the news section for that one at some point.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 215681
    If you're talking about the client side, maybe - he could probably point us to a site he's made that uses his CMS.

If you're talking about the underlying code, HAH! Why on earth would Game want to share something he's worked hard and long to perfect with a bunch of people he has never even met? And not even get paid for it? I know he's crazy sometimes, but I don't think he's that crazy.

Would just like to see the client-side. And yeah knowing how the cms was done would be cool, and i dont mean the code itself, just the tools.
    My site? oh here--->www.host4go.com

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 215687
    ... too big to quote but want ya to knwo i quote kind of quote.
    Couldnt you just set up a demo account at an "empty" site, with your base cms?
    and also speak about how you did it, without sharing the code? just a nice and easy chat .
    My site? oh here--->www.host4go.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's just it...I really don't have a "base" as such. They're all tailored.

SS has a news editor, an alley editor, a review moderation section, and other tools specific to my evil purposes.
    My home show client has a place to upload exhibitor logos and a custom advertorial section.
    My Spanish Christian bookstore client has a place to upload products, etc.

Those are just three examples. About the only commonality is that they have logins/passwords to protect the sections.

That's why I can't supply it to you. There's no "base" as such, other than a generic code base that I use to create forms and other interactivity. I know what you want, but it's not really possible.

This is also one of the reasons I hate CMSes in general...they make the assumption that all sites are created equally or at least have certain commonalities when they don't and shouldn't.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I also like wordpress. Joomla is ok, but wordpress matches my wavelengths

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Remove Ads