Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I hope I am posting in the right forum!

I am designing a website for an acquaintance of mine, building it in flash + dreamweaver w/html. He has basic HTML knowledge and wants to be able to edit the content for himself after I do the first phase. Is there a program he can use to edit/add to his site without having to download and work through flash and dreamweaver? Can I set up a template somewhere that he can access easily to add content to?

He wants to have site interactivity like this: Arcadia Fine Art : New York City Contemporary Representational Art Gallery
    where he can add to the list of people himself, and have a relevant photo load in the middle. Can he do this easily without me? using perhaps another, more user-friendly and inexpensive software program to make changes to the flash file?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What you can do with Flash is combine it with a server-side programming language to load the pics from say a database and have the pics show up from there. It would be fairly easy to build an admin from there to allow your client to add/edit/delete pics and artists from there.

Your problem may be the way Flash handles the pics, etc. I haven't done this myself in three years, so Adobe may have dealt with the problem since then, but the last time I did something like this Flash didn't have anything to preload images drawn from a database. It's one of the many reasons I refuse to use Flash.

Alternatively, you might be able to build something like this using the jQuery framework, although I haven't ever attempted anything like this myself.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    This really sounds like a job for a server side language like a PHP and/or backend database but it doesn't sound like you have experience with such things. Coding a solution sounds rather easy, however learning how to code a solution is not going to be.

Member #
    Use wordpress and get familiar with it. It's powerful and serves it's purpose for small clients.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    flash is a bad idea for many reasons. SEO, mobile devices, accessibility, ect...
    most of the work on that site you pointed to is done with javascript. i suggest the same and the use of <noscript>. flash is not going to get you what you are asking for. it just won't happen. once you concede the point go to cushycms.com and hook him up.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    depends all on what content he needs to edit. If its text, use dynamic html in the flash, and if its images, just use generic image names so he can edit me image directly (just make sure he doesnt resize any!)

Member #
    If he wants to edit content part of the site, then any simple CMS would do. Easy for him to change the content without actually updating the code. The WYSIWYG editors make easy to include content.

Remove Ads