Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I have an idea to build a large internet directory using a wiki. (Don't worry, I'm not totally insane. Editing rights will be limited to responsible clients.) Any advice or experience will be appreciated.

What's the best big-wiki software, TikiWiki or MediaWiki or something else? After surfing about Wiki's for several days, it seems that MediaWiki and TikiWiki are the only two 'affordable' software options that can be reliable for a large project...? Both have compliants about being user-unfriendly, but so does just about any large-capacity wiki...?

Apparant advantages of TikiWiki (?):
    • Includes a rudimentary blog, which may help popularity.
    • Actually specifies "DMOZ" capability on the Tiki.org home page. (Although MediaWiki can certainly build a directory also...?)

Apparent advantages of MediaWiki (?):
    • By far the most-used wiki. So even though it's not more user-friendly... many more people are used to being friends with it... And will be more apt to find "what people expect" in a wiki.

Meanwhile, some people seem to say "administration" is much easier with MediaWiki--and others say much easier with TikiWiki...?

And I cannot help the feeling that I might be missing something else that is important...?

Any and all comments appreciated, as well as alternate suggestions. Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    MediaWiki likely will get a cease and desist order from WikiMedia. That narrows your choices.

Cheers.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I thought you were naming the site, in which case I would have picked TikiWiki since it rhymes.

Other than that, what Steven said. TikiWiki doesn't really sound like anything common.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    MediaWiki was created by WikiMedia, is listed on their website, and I find no mention of controversy between the entities at Wikipedia.org or in a Google search. Nonetheless, I know better than to doubt Steve Mosely!

Anyway, I just happened to come across two other considerations:

1. Mindtouch Core, a free wysiwyg offshoot of MediaWiki.

2. XenCarta, a streamlined wysiwyg wiki add-on for Xenforo. Reported to be very fast and with virtually unlimited database capacity.

For people skilled at using codes, WYSIWYG is a nuisance. Also I have read that in a wiki, WYSIWYG may seriously slow page downloading. (?) Nonetheless, in my personal guess, perhaps 1/3 of the human race is unable to participate in a WIKI unless it uses WYSIWYG. So for now--unless someone talks me out of it--I am favoring the WYSIWYG options.

I am also kind of skeptical that a forum add-on can be used to create a DMOZ type directory... :ermm: and Xenforo is still in beta mode... :ermm: Nonetheless in theory at least, Xenforo is no ordinary forum software... So for now, I am planning to unify my Xenforo site with my DMOZ-type site, and using XenCarta, run both with the same Xenforo database, and just see what this feels like... (Unless anyone talks me out of it...)

P.S... My DMOZ-type site is to be named Emocracy.com. (With Popocracy.com as a second site, in case separation seems called for.)

P.P.S... For those who don't know, TikiWiki seems generally acknowledged as the second most established and developed (or over-developed) wiki software (or bloatware perhaps) second only to MediaWiki which powers Wikipedia, as you probably know. The main difference is that TikiWiki adds sort-of a full-fledged forum, blog, and kitchen sink. It was kind of tempting that this one thing could do so much. But often when I visit the rambling and choc-a-bloc tiki.org website, that little "downloading" circle on my browser tab keeps going round-and-round for hours while I do other things. Not a good feeling results in my mind, if you know what I mean...

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Oops, shoulda read your post in full prior to responding. Thought you were thinking "MediaWiki" for your domain name. If I were to choose a wiki platform, I'd use Wikimedia's. Cheers!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley View Post
    Oops... Thought you were thinking "MediaWiki" for your domain name. If I were to choose a wiki platform, I'd use Wikimedia's. Cheers!
    Oops... there's one more discussion spoiled because if an ambiguous title! I have rewritten the title but probably too late...

Anyway, as Mr. Mosely says, it seems MediaWiki is the most likely and most proven option... MindTouch sounds too much like something out of a Sci-Fi horror movie and there is something creepy about their whole website... TikiWiki is an opposite extreme, their website and their product resembling some disorganized hippie compound... And MediaWiki does have a WYSIWYG add-on... and MediaWiki integrates readily with Wordpress for which there is a Xenforo bridge.

There is a very promising "streamlined" wiki for Xenforo called XenCarta. However I've decided to avoid this because it is only supported by one lone programmer.

So MediaWiki does seem the most sure-fire way to go. (Unless the well-established VaultWiki team might soon complete a Xenforo VaultWiki. This is said to be in the works.)

Remove Ads