Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Curious what the learning curve is for Joomla? Speaking of Joomla, can anyone tell me the differences between Joomla and Magento/Drupal? I'm a CMS noob and wondering where to start! Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    As everything each CMS has its pros and corns

Pros and corns, huh? Hmmm...maybe that's why I'm not a CMS fan. I don't like corn very much unless it's on the cob...or popped.

(Nobody mind me. I just found this amusing.)
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 208256
    Pros and corns, huh? Hmmm...maybe that's why I'm not a CMS fan. I don't like corn very much unless it's on the cob...or popped.

(Nobody mind me. I just found this amusing.)
    Or in Crackerjack -
    also can we get this guy's link out of his sig? (he's nowhere near 25 posts yet? )
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Way to get off-topic because of a typo.
    Oh wait, I did exactly the same on that other thread. Carry on!
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I think Rick has to do that, Mare. Did you ask him?

Side note: if anyone actually has something useful to help our boy out, please post it. I've said this in another thread, but he deserves our help if we can give it to him. I can't personally, but I'm sure someone out there can.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 208321
    I think Rick has to do that, Mare. Did you ask him?

Side note: if anyone actually has something useful to help our boy out, please post it. I've said this in another thread, but he deserves our help if we can give it to him. I can't personally, but I'm sure someone out there can.
    Game thanks for getting us back on track.

As a sort of reply to the OP -
    it has been my understanding that in order of difficulty, the list would be:
    1. Wordpress
    2. Joomla
    3. Drupal
    4. Magento

I have what I would call intermediate experience with Wordpress, beginner experience with Joomla (dropped it because I wanted to concentrate more on the WP and hand-coding).

I have a friend who works in Magento - he says the learning curve was incredibly steep while he was trying to teach himself, with online info, but he got lucky and it turned out there was someone at his work who was very good at it and he said that once he was working one-on-one with this guy it still took him a few months before he felt really comfortable with it.

I think the indicator of how hard iit may be to learn any of these systems is to tyake a look at the size and involvement of the online communities. Wp has a huge following, tons of forums, plugin developers, theme developers, etc, so if you have a question, you can usually find several answers in very short order. Joomla has a smaller yet fairly active community, but Drupal and Magento not so much.

I know this has been a vague and not very satisfactory answer to your question, but it's all I've got.
    Sorry.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Smith Thomas: I warned you about link drops. Same thing goes for copy/pasting content.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I have found Drupal a little bit easier to make a basic site with . But Joomla is a little bit more powerful.
    But I mainly use WordPress for everything

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 208348
    Game thanks for getting us back on track.

As a sort of reply to the OP -
    it has been my understanding that in order of difficulty, the list would be:
    1. Wordpress
    2. Joomla
    3. Drupal
    4. Magento

Personally I disagree with Mares first 2 listings.. I find Joomla very very easy to manipulate..(especially 1.6 and 1.7 as its all class based css instead of those dreaded tables like in 1.5) With wordpress i find it difficult because I dont really know much php and there is ALOT of it in Wordpress when you create your own custom template. (Mare shoot me if ive got that wrong but I tried learning Wordpress and gave up due to its complexity)

To the OP: If you are after something that you can create a custom template from and manage it with addons like slideshows, news rotators, galleries etc i suggest Joomla....the only thing Joomla isn't good at is blogging in which case go with the "press" all the way

Hope this helps...kind of.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m3n0tu18, post: 213105
    Personally I disagree with Mares first 2 listings.. I find Joomla very very easy to manipulate..(especially 1.6 and 1.7 as its all class based css instead of those dreaded tables like in 1.5) With wordpress i find it difficult because I dont really know much php and there is ALOT of it in Wordpress when you create your own custom template. (Mare shoot me if ive got that wrong but I tried learning Wordpress and gave up due to its complexity)
    I gotta be careful here - they shoot horses...
    I do know a fair bit of PHP, about beginner/intermediate level, but with WP most of it is written for you - all you have to do is fix the CSS and you are more than halfway there. I use a framework and create child themes - that way the framework will (usually) update with newer versions of WP and not break.
    Quote Originally Posted by m3n0tu18, post: 213105
    To the OP: If you are after something that you can create a custom template from and manage it with addons like slideshows, news rotators, galleries etc i suggest Joomla....the only thing Joomla isn't good at is blogging in which case go with the "press" all the way
    The one time I modified Joomla, there was an update not much later and it broke the whole site - it was a nightmare. I find it much more complicated and at the same time more restrictive than WP - but I guess it's all in what you understand best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads