Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    The hypothetic Design Business targets small business professional (doctors, lawyers,etc) looking for a website for their practice. The website will need to include pictures, graphics, a few testimonial videos from happy clients, but mostly content rich with articles, blogs. Have easy content management from both the provider and customer (doctor, lawyer, etc) so as to be frequently updated with articles, blog postings. What software (web editor) would you choose to provide these websites. The software should have a multitude of customizable templates, but also capable of building from scratch. Most importantly, the software needs to allow easy search engine optimization of the website content. What do you recommend ?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    So you're going to start a web design business and you're going to target small businesses and you're asking how to build websites so that the doctors, lawyers, etc. can easily add content and that they're SEO-friendly and that they're easy to build.

Thank you for attempting to cheapen the industry by looking for every shortcut possible and not investing the time and effort to learn how to do things yourself.
    AlphaMare and shovenose like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 213259
    So you're going to start a web design business and you're going to target small businesses and you're asking how to build websites so that the doctors, lawyers, etc. can easily add content and that they're SEO-friendly and that they're easy to build.

Thank you for attempting to cheapen the industry by looking for every shortcut possible and not investing the time and effort to learn how to do things yourself.
    That deserves more than a simple "Like". So: "LIKE!"

It is indeed unfortunate that lazy, indifferent people continue to look on Web design and development as a way to make fast, easy money. It makes it all the harder for those of us with skills learned over a span of years, indeed sometimes decades, who have a genuine concern to give the client a quality product that will actually give them some ROI.

Little anecdote here, not completely off-topic:

I have been watching a competitor of mine (also a one-person shop) for some time now. At first they seemed to rake in business - from their portfolio it seemed as if they are doing a couple of sites a week or so. They use only purchased templates, and actually approached me to do some work for them. From what they asked me to do and our subsequent conversation about it, it was apparent that they knew nothing about coding whatsoever.

Now it's funny, but a few of their clients have recently been contacting me, wanting changes made that the other "developer" told them were impossible to do. I think since I made the changes and they were happy, that it's just possible word may get around (word of mouth advertising is the best kind).
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The sad thing about this... Is that some actually do get into business like this... They have a joomla.. Or movable type setup.. And the customize the templates...

But don't know or understand how it all works... One of my clients does this.. I helped him with his basic contract ...making sure that his clients get all code I'd they choose to move...

What I didn't tell them was... Within a year or too... Most will no longer be his clients... I've seen this so many times it's actually a shame that people keep trying it...

Kinda like the seafood industry in my arear ... During the summer months.. They focus more on quantity than quality... And don't care if they come back next year...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This used to irritate me to no end. Now I laugh at it.

Yes, in the short urn, these guys will get clients...but when the clients want real work done on their sites, they come to me saying things like "the previous designer couldn't do" or "the developer said it was impossible" or "my site never worked the way it was supposed to."

it keeps getting funnier every single time I hear it, too.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    [COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 213271
    Kinda like the seafood industry in my arear ... During the summer months.. They focus more on quantity than quality... And don't care if they come back next year...
    [/COLOR]
    Atlantic cod fishery...?

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 213272
    This used to irritate me to no end. Now I laugh at it.

Yes, in the short urn, these guys will get clients...but when the clients want real work done on their sites, they come to me saying things like "the previous designer couldn't do" or "the developer said it was impossible" or "my site never worked the way it was supposed to."

it keeps getting funnier every single time I hear it, too.
    I hope I get to that point soon - I waste too much energy getting all negative about this kind of crap.
    I'm gonna go meditate awhile. O-o-o-o-m-m-m-m.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dredding, post: 213253
    The hypothetic Design Business targets small business professional (doctors, lawyers,etc) looking for a website for their practice. The website will need to include pictures, graphics, a few testimonial videos from happy clients, but mostly content rich with articles, blogs. Have easy content management from both the provider and customer (doctor, lawyer, etc) so as to be frequently updated with articles, blog postings. What software (web editor) would you choose to provide these websites. The software should have a multitude of customizable templates, but also capable of building from scratch. Most importantly, the software needs to allow easy search engine optimization of the website content. What do you recommend ?
    I immediately suggest getting the book " HTML For Dummies" and reading through it......*sigh*
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Remove Ads