Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi All,

I'm just getting my personal page up and running and am looking to do a few pages in the near future for some friends, etc. Small time stuff, no multiple accounts, no e-commerce, just really simple, clean pages for self-promotion. I am an organization freak and am really worried to get this thing off the ground without taking the proper first steps on the back-end. What I've read about various open-source CMS programs has been encouraging, but I would love a really simplified explanation as to what I will be needing. I am currently with Bluehost and they have a "one-click" Drupal installation, but I may be switching to start a reseller hosting program with another provider in a few months. I plan on doing all the theme coding myself, so I have no need for that aspect, I just want a central location to monitor my content and keep a tight leash on changes being made to the various sites, images, etc. I plan on making most (if not all) of the changes to the sites once they are active.

This is a long-winded way of saying that I really don't know the role of CMS in such an operation and could use some help figuring out:

1. what system would be best for me
    2. more generally what could CMS do to help in this small enterprise (is it necessary?)

Hope you can help!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    IMO drupal is a great system, but it has been around a while and there are better CMS systems out there, and easier to use. However, if you are familiar with it then by all means it will do what you want it to do.

However, since you are questioning the purpose of a CMS in general, I would say you may want to look at other options. Joomla is a good system that spun off the old Mambo CMS a few years ago and its quite popular and much more widely supported. If your host supports a one click install I would look into that. If they use fantastico then they should.

But there are other solutions that you could also look into, Wordpress for instance is VERY widely supported and used. For what you are looking to do it may be perfect. It was designed with blogs in mind, but it can be customized a great deal to host a site that bears little resemblance to a full time blog at all.

Concrete5 Is also a great system. Developed by a couple of developers to help simplify their design company and then released as open source, it is very promising and makes editing pages very easy once things are set up, and very intuitive, that may be important if you are going to be making sites for people who have little to no knowledge of any systems.

These would be my top recommendations.
    HUMMIKE likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the clear response, this will help a lot. I've been hearing a lot about Joomla recently and it sounds great.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Just an update to close the thread...

For what it's worth, installing Joomla on my home Apache server was a bit of an ordeal, but I got it resolved and it seems really user friendly. Getting started is pretty straightforward and looks like it will really help me out. Thanks again for your help!

Remove Ads