Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: CMS help

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    A client recently asked me to do a site for him and he said that he wanted to be able to add and delete pictures and be able to edit content himself(CMS).

I have never used a CMS before and I dont know much about them

I was going to do the site in HTML+CSS. The problem I have is that I dont know how a CMS works and I am not sure if I could do the design and then install a CMS, and then let him use it... Or, would I have to create the site on the CMS(i know this sounds really dumb, but i have abbsolutely no knowledge of CMS)

Please help

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Most of he CMS out ther are just for this purpose. You do the layout and design ,but they have the ability to log in and add, edit, delete content without disrupting the actual design or functionality of the site.

Joomla, wordpress, drupal are all good basics.. Just remember to sign up for notifications of updates, and apply the update to keep the site secure.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 218773
    Most of he CMS out ther are just for this purpose. You do the layout and design ,but they have the ability to log in and add, edit, delete content without disrupting the actual design or functionality of the site.

Joomla, wordpress, drupal are all good basics.. Just remember to sign up for notifications of updates, and apply the update to keep the site secure.
    thanks for the reply,

So if I have already done the design in HTML+CSS I wil be able to upload the files onto Joomla or drupal and then the guy could edit the info

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    All of the cms's mentioned above have certain ways of doing it. From easing these forums I get the impression that joomla is perhaps the easiest to apply your own design to.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 218806
    All of the cms's mentioned above have certain ways of doing it. From easing these forums I get the impression that joomla is perhaps the easiest to apply your own design to.
    I have already built the site(HTML+CSS) and I want that design to be editable via a CMS

Is this possible

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If you have already created the HTML and CSS , you can adapt it to the tempting that is built into the CMS. No you can't just dump it there and it magically appear, but if your created it, follow joomlas instructions to integrate it.

Member #
    Use WordPress . It is too easy ... and you will get huge tutorial on Google.. and also easy to customize... .

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahim Chowdhury, post: 218812
    I have already built the site(HTML+CSS) and I want that design to be editable via a CMS

Is this possible
    You want the design to be editable as well as the content? I'd say go with WordPress. There are literally thousands of themes, both free and paid, that you can use - most change easily with the click of a button. Do your research first to see what the theme offers - e.g. not all of them support drop-down menus, some are better laid out for portfolios, etc.
    Check out my portfolio (bottom link in my sig) and you will see a variety of styles.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    I agree with AlphaMare regards Mordpress. It is a helpful CMS, but, if you are new to CMS and want to get to grips with understanding how it works I suggest you use a program called CMSFromScratch, its a very simple, easily manageable CMS that will do everything you need. Then start working on improving your skills to work with Wordpress or Joomla 1.7 =)
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Remove Ads