Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello. I have recently agreed to redesign a website for a small non-profit. The current site is out of date, and the staff have no formal training in website design, so it has been challenging for them to add new pages or even update the existing content.

I'm looking for advice and recommendations about the base format for the new site. The staff all have access to Dreamweaver (CS4), and have some experience using it to update content. Because of the way the page was originally written (alot of PHP and "includes") they have often been stumped when they want to add new pages or sections.

This summer, the staff successfully created a wordpress blog about their programs. They felt comfortable enough with the forum, and liked being able to add posts from their phone and by email.

I myself have slightly (but not much) more experience with Dreamweaver than the staff, and limited experience with Wordpress. As I've been poking around design forums to get me started on the redesign of their site, I've seen reference to the fact that you can really do a lot with Wordpress.

Can anyone give some advice about the pros and cons of CMS (specifically wordpress), and how it might limit the site? I think the most important feature in the site I design for them is that new staff can learn to handle the updates without any technical training. Does this mean CMS is the only way to go?

Thanks in advance for your insights!
    -Smilee

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Hi. I use WP a lot for my lower-budget clients as well as for the technically challenged. the admin backend is pretty easy and intuitive, so updates, adding, and deleting pages are simple.

On the coding side, you should choose a theme that specifies updates to correlate with the versions of WP it should not offer any "my site is broken!" challenges.

The best thing would be to use a framework and develop your own child theme, but that would require a fairly decent knowledge of CSS. Basically a child theme is just one or more CSS files (and possibly, but not necessarily, a few extra functions in a PHP page). It's fairly easy to learn, for more go here and here for a great tutorial.

Side note - DW tends to bloat the code, and so it makes it difficult to find what needs changing. Also, if any of the functionality needs changing (accordions, menu bars, tabbed panels, validations, etc.) it can be a challenge to get it all changed or removed, since the code for these is often split into several locations on the page.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads