Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello everyone! Glad to be a member of this forum! Nice to meet everyone.

I am planning a dynamic website with Google Maps API integration, shopping cart, Blog, and user profiles. The website will allow users to add local real estate for sale.

Features for Users
    Modular hompage; ability from user profile to add or subtract modules from home page. Example modules would be; Blogroll, Fav Real Estate listing, Quick Real Estate Search, Contact Agent etc

Features for Real Estate Agents
    Modular homepage + favorate clients, Contact Client, newest properties listed etc.

Basically, I would a large Google map on homepage with a drop pin where every home/property is for sale. The site would have sitemail for both clients and agents, + customizeable homepage with modules for each client and agents.

I would like a welcome message saying " Welcome (x), " The homepage would be customizeable by client from backend.

I understand there is a large amount of programming and customization for this to happen. This is just the very basic top level idea.

What CMS programming system / backend would you use? What CMS system is scaleable, and in-expensive + used by many programmers.

I am also concerned about server load and bandwidth. I would like the final site to run fast and smooth.

I plan on using http://www.bluehost.com/ for hosting.. What is your opinion? I would like a powerfull server on a fast backbone. What is the standard in this industry for professional websites? or semi-pro websites?

Please adviese, Your knowledge and sugguestions are much appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDesign, post: 228321
    Hello everyone! Glad to be a member of this forum! Nice to meet everyone.

I am planning a dynamic website with Google Maps API integration, shopping cart, Blog, and user profiles. The website will allow users to add local real estate for sale...

I would like a powerfull server on a fast backbone. What is the standard in this industry for professional websites? or semi-pro websites?

Please adviese, Your knowledge and sugguestions are much appreciated.
    HI - sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you!

I'd just like to point out that in these forums we frown on posting outside links unless it it absolutely relevant to a post. In your case in the post above it is borderline, since your questin is about hosting, rather than about CMS per se.

If you are asking for recommendations about hosting, you should really be posting in the Web Hosting forum.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Most real estate CMS systems are custom work, pretty expensive from what I've seen they actually are, but they are build so real estate agents ( not programmers ), can use them.

Unless you are really familiar with a scripting language, you should probably consider either purchasing a pre-built one, or finding someone that has built one that is actually in use... Why ? Because it's one thing to have great ideas about what you want ( I suspect you've seen similar CMS out there and decided what you want in yours ), but the reality is, there has been a lot of programming and custom scritping done to accomplish those things, and the developers know it... That's why you won't find a successful one for free.

The successful ones that I have seen and had occasion to talk with the developers on have hundreds if not thousands of hours ( combined work hours ), invested in them, and that's with experienced programmers doing the work.

You may find some free stuff out there, but expect the functionality to be limited if not minimal.

If you're planning on using this for yourself, that is one thing. If you're planning on or want to set this up so realtors can use it, that's is a completely different story. You will be competeting against the systems that are already established.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I agree with WebzArUs with the following exception: given the cursory set of requirements you outline, I would start with Joomla. Joomla will do most of what you describe, and the few (though nontrivial) functions it won't do out of the box or with free extension, can be custom coded as Joomla extensions. That gives you a good start with most of the development work already done, plus a decent programming framework to work within. The overall quality will be better than a from-scratch custom job since the Joomla core has many more test hours under its belt than a custom job. It will be a lot cheaper to build, and it will be easier to find support since a lot of developers are very familiar with Joomla.

Just my $0.02...

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I forgot to reply to your bandwidth question as it relates to choice of platform. Joomla (and other popular CMS's) are efficient enough on the back end. But keep in mind that whatever your platform, band width is all you (the HTML/CSS/Javascript developer) since that's for the most part(*) what affects the HTTP traffic... except for .Net if you don't use an MVC model - .Net is VERY network inefficient due to the enormousness viewstate hidden field - which you can control to some extent without MVC, but it's nontrivial.

(*) I say "for the most part" because various CMS's out of the box have their own set of default header stuff, scripts etc, that they include by default. This can increase the number of HTTP requests and thus adds to slow response times. However you have control over this so you can optimize it as needed.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    First off, do not use bluehost for anything. Miserable rubbish.
    If you're going to use shared hosting, at least get hostgator!

Anyway, ive never actually used a cms for some thing like that. However, check out Joomla and magento and Drupal and WordPress...

Member #
    Hi! In our web design solutions we have a great CMS, that allows clients to upload their own content and also inside the CMS we have google maps integrated and youtube for video. Also we provide realiable hosting. This video shows how to add users to our cms in a simple way.

Remove Ads