Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Howdy.

I just joined. I'm actually an SEO type guy.. (please don't hold it against me). I'm very hands on and have several clients that I also do web development for, and writing and designing that has nothing to do with SEO.. (with the help of WYSIWYG editors).

Here's today's problem: One of my clients has a designer (called in for emergencies) that set up with CKeditor. He's running the 3.0 version. I rely heavily on the editor rather than hand html entry. This editor has a nasty habit of leaving "ghost" html after edits.. (the html that was replaced with the edit remains, and the new html after the edit seems to layer over or around the old). In any case, when the editor for dummies function is used a lot, you end up with a garbled mess of source code, and the functions of the editor break down. Right now, I can't access advanced colors or create new links, and the sizing is all over creation. Also when setting H1 or H2 on a very specific sinle line, the heading designation gets apllied to entire paragraphs below the line that was highlighted for the edit.

Has anyone else had this "ghost residual html" problem when editing with CKeditor? Is there a fix? Does the newer 3.6 address the problem? Not sure which CMS he's got, but it's compatible..

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Saulie

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    You've got one option here: do it right, flush any WYSIWYG editor down the toilet where it belongs.
    HTML's fairly easy.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 230429
    You've got one option here: do it right, flush any WYSIWYG editor down the toilet where it belongs.
    HTML's fairly easy.
    Yeah..I know.. that's what separates real designers from the schmucks, right nose? I'm hoping that someone who isn't on quite such a high horse might offer some help.

I guess I understand your moniker
    Thanks for the input.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It may be compatible, but sounds more like a configuration error on the install.

Typically the editor just creates the code you tell it it and it dynamically fills in a <text area> on the form. When you submit, it send that code to the DB using an update statement if it's an existing page, or an insert statement for a new page.

On an existing page, it sounds like either there is a session variable holding onto the old contents, of a CSS element is hiding some of the contents so when your modifying it, you don't see it.

Check the install files for the editor and see if something were overlooked. Or perhaps an extra JavaScript that wasn't removed the might be holding some code in a hidden element .

Just a thought... Maybe open a page in edit mode.. Then view source and see if ther are any hidden elements ( suggest using chrome element inspector ).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 230435
    It may be compatible, but sounds more like a configuration error on the install.

Typically the editor just creates the code you tell it it and it dynamically fills in a <text area> on the form. When you submit, it send that code to the DB using an update statement if it's an existing page, or an insert statement for a new page.

On an existing page, it sounds like either there is a session variable holding onto the old contents, of a CSS element is hiding some of the contents so when your modifying it, you don't see it.

Check the install files for the editor and see if something were overlooked. Or perhaps an extra JavaScript that wasn't removed the might be holding some code in a hidden element .

Just a thought... Maybe open a page in edit mode.. Then view source and see if ther are any hidden elements ( suggest using chrome element inspector ).
    Thanks a million, Webzarus. I will forward this to the designer that did the install. Great name you've got there.. kind of a triple entendre.. some may liken to Webs R Us, some to Sparticus and maybe even Lazarus!

Anyone out there have poor experience with quirks in this particular editor (CK 3.0) ? Like the suggestion from Webzarus.. any helpful ideas are greatly appreciated and will be followed up on.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Saulieboy, post: 230433
    Yeah..I know.. that's what separates real designers from the schmucks, right nose? I'm hoping that someone who isn't on quite such a high horse might offer some help.

I guess I understand your moniker
    Thanks for the input.
    Lol. Was I rude? Sorry... had a pretty crappy day today.
    Saulieboy likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 230441
    Lol. Was I rude? Sorry... had a pretty crappy day today.
    Thanks.
    Hope ya have a good tomorrow!

Remove Ads