Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all.

Don't often have to ask for help so thank you in advance to those that assist me with this problem.

Basically, I've created a website based around the Concrete5 CMS, on that site is a simple gallery page which the client is saying is empty. The gallery page is a standard add-on for this CMS, nothing complicated.

As well as clearing my cache etc, I've done a browsershots.org screen capture, tried proxies, and visited the page with every device I have available to me but cannot replicate the problem myself.

If you are reading this could you visit this page and tell me whether there are any images being displayed in the main content block of the site, and if so how many images?
    http://hypecosmetictattooing.co.uk/index.php/gallery/

Many thanks!
    Suishide

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    12 pics on an iphone

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 232936
    12 pics on an iphone
    Thanks Webzarus.

Anyone else that can spare a few seconds?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What browser is the client using ? IE perhaps ?... I've seen similar things happen in the past with z-index settings that other browsers ignore but IE Is pretty strict on... And a lot of people creating templates and plugins use the z-index attribute without regard for where someone may use it.

It the z-index value is too high for the main container and the gallery is using a lower z-index, IE will not ignore the inherited value like most of the other browsers.

Just a thought

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 232963
    What browser is the client using ? IE perhaps ?... I've seen similar things happen in the past with z-index settings that other browsers ignore but IE Is pretty strict on... And a lot of people creating templates and plugins use the z-index attribute without regard for where someone may use it.

It the z-index value is too high for the main container and the gallery is using a lower z-index, IE will not ignore the inherited value like most of the other browsers.

Just a thought
    Thanks for a quick reply.

Yes very probably IE, though I personally think it's a simple cache issue from when the gallery page was empty - unfortunately there's no telling the client that so I'm having to pursue this line of enquiry.

What you've said is very interesting though - I've looked through the CSS files for the gallery add-on in that page, in the main CSS file there's nothing (quite literally, only 3 sections to style the entire gallery as it's very basic) but there are references to z-index in the CSS file for Fancybox which is what the add-on uses to popup images when clicked (like Lightbox).

Do you think your theory would still affect the page load, or not because that CSS only applies to the popped up image?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Well if you can see it in IE ( try different versions ), then it shouldn't be a problem for them.

But I have seen fancybox CSS get in the way, if any of your site design divs are named the same as any of the fancybox divs...

Again, if you can see in ie and other browsers ( not very trustful of browsershots but ok )... Then shouldnt be an issue for them.

If I think about it, I'll look at the code when I get home...

Question... Are all the images in the gallery on the site too ? Or are they hosted somewhere else, reason I ask is that I also manage firewalls and more and more sites are getting flagged because the image files are being pulled from content servers... An overly aggressive firewall manager might have something set to block and review as opposed to flag and review ? Just a thought. Kinda reaching though.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I see a grid of 12 photos - 4 across by 3 down - with headings (images of text)
    I'm using Chrome.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 232966
    Well if you can see it in IE ( try different versions ), then it shouldn't be a problem for them.

But I have seen fancybox CSS get in the way, if any of your site design divs are named the same as any of the fancybox divs...

Again, if you can see in ie and other browsers ( not very trustful of browsershots but ok )... Then shouldnt be an issue for them.

If I think about it, I'll look at the code when I get home...

Question... Are all the images in the gallery on the site too ? Or are they hosted somewhere else, reason I ask is that I also manage firewalls and more and more sites are getting flagged because the image files are being pulled from content servers... An overly aggressive firewall manager might have something set to block and review as opposed to flag and review ? Just a thought. Kinda reaching though.
    Alphamare:
    thanks for taking the time to look and post, by knowing that people *can* see it I can put some work into the styling of the gallery without worrying whether I'll just have to delete it all and start again.

Webzarus:
    What would you suggest for testing a site across browsers etc, I obviously have Chrome, Firefox, IE but is there some kind of alternative to Browsershots so I can be a bit broader? I've only just started using CMSes - previously I wrote everything by hand in PHP/HTML/CSS and tagged on things like Zencart/Zenphoto etc so I generally didn't have to worry too much as the codebase was pretty small.

All content is on the same server, don't worry about taking a look at the code but thank you for the offer - I think this literally is just the case of someone who can't/won't clear the cache in their browsers so there's not much I can do about that. As long as the world can see it...

Thanks everyone!

Remove Ads