Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I am using a re-seller hosting account (with a shared ip), to learn about php programming. I need to install a SSL certificate. My hosting company doesn't provide any SSL certificates, for free - they can be brought from them. The host has openssl installed. In order to use a self-signed certificate (just for learning), do I need to have my own IP address? (re-seller comes with shared ip).

Is there any way how I can install a free self signed certificate, using a host with a shared ip address? (my host sells dedicated IPs for 2 per month)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Whoa... You can actually purchase a re-seller account without SSL installed ?

I'm thinking maybe the terminology is incorrect, as a reseller account ( the ones I offer ), are complete packages... Including SSL...

Then you say you have it for practice for learning php, so assuming you've purchased a standard hosting account...

SSL is only needed to "encrytpt" transaction information between client and server... Unless you're building a HIGH END application that is actually going to check certificate values ( most do not, unless you're in the banking industry ), there's really no need to develop with an SSL in place...

I personally develop anything I need to do with SSL on one of my private servers, then when I need to take it live, I set it up based on client requirements, purchase a certificate based on that, install it, install my code and done...

SSL is only used to "encrypt", the transaction ( what is being sent between client and server ), and that is probably 99.999 % of how SSL is used, OPEN SSL, may be fine in a development environment, but depending on the client needs, the server environment you'll be installing it on, and the target market use, you may want to purchase one specifically taliored for that use.

Member #
    Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I am using a re-seller account. It's with this company http://www.othellohosts.net/host_res...cpanel_whm.htm the 24.95 per month. I am using a re-seller account as my dad uses a lot of the space, for his websites.

When you say that you develop anything to do with SSL on your private servers, how can I get around this whilst I am learning? I am building a website (to learn), that involves incorporating paypal with a IPN. Paypal requires you to use https to incorporate the ipn, I would like to include the ipn so that I can complete the full learning example. How would you get around this please?

I have contacted othello about the ssl certificate in my re-seller account, & they have told me that it doesn't include a ssl certificate for free. I have a shared ip address, & I have been told that I can purchase a static ip for 2 per month, & then get a ssl certificate for a fee.

What is the best solution please? Thank-you for replying again.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 233360
    Whoa... You can actually purchase a re-seller account without SSL installed ?

I'm thinking maybe the terminology is incorrect, as a reseller account ( the ones I offer ), are complete packages... Including SSL...

Then you say you have it for practice for learning php, so assuming you've purchased a standard hosting account...

SSL is only needed to "encrytpt" transaction information between client and server... Unless you're building a HIGH END application that is actually going to check certificate values ( most do not, unless you're in the banking industry ), there's really no need to develop with an SSL in place...

I personally develop anything I need to do with SSL on one of my private servers, then when I need to take it live, I set it up based on client requirements, purchase a certificate based on that, install it, install my code and done...

SSL is only used to "encrypt", the transaction ( what is being sent between client and server ), and that is probably 99.999 % of how SSL is used, OPEN SSL, may be fine in a development environment, but depending on the client needs, the server environment you'll be installing it on, and the target market use, you may want to purchase one specifically taliored for that use.
    Sorry meant to add. Can I purchase a dedicated IP address (which my hosts provide for 2 per month), and then use openssl to create a self-signed certificate? I know that I would really need to buy a SSl certificate for a commercial website, but I'm using this 100% to learn. So would openssl do?

Thanks

Remove Ads