Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi

I am using openssl, to create a self signed certificate.

My hosting provides a shared IP address- will my self signed certificate work with this? If not, my host provides a static IP address for a small fee -will this do?

Thanks!

P.S. I am only using this self signed certificate to learn, & will be using a purchased certificate later on, for commercial websites.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It should, but that's a better question for your hosting provider...

Since certificate registration is dependant on OS and how they configure certificates to their hosting accounts.

I've seen some that allow self-signed, and some who didn't know how to assist the user in installing them. The answer should be in your control panel for your hosting account. If there is an option to install a non-purchased SSL Certificate, then you're probably ok. If not, you'll need to contact your support group to see if they can install one.

A self-signed certificate really providers no benefit for development as the only real reason for using SSL Certificate in a development environment is to test the code that verifies the certificates key...( which most people have no need to do ), on banks and high end data transactions verify the key, most SSL Certs are only used for the encryption of the transaction in which case he key doesn't need to be verified... The only requirement is that the transaction happen on port 443, the sites can be developed normally, ( without ssl ), then moved into the environment before using in the production environment.

Remove Ads