Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I'm working on a website project to improve my PHP/Database and CMS abilities. The problem, is that I'm not sure which type of CMS will work with what I'm trying to do.

I need a CMS that will allow the integration of my own databases, user profiles, 100% customizable pages (both static and dynamic), website based CMS (I want admins to be able to upload content via their website profile, NOT their CMS profile), and the ability to use my own SQL queries.

I have been researching WordPress, Joomla, Durpal, and a few other free CMS. I think Joomla is the best choice. I found a few user management plugins (which I couldn't find for WP), but I don't know how databases work in Joomla. So I don't know if it will meet my needs.

PROJECT DETAILS

Database Setup:

Project Design:

(category page)

(tutorial page)

(standard user profile [*not admin/no cms])

As you can see from the design, I can't use the provided DB tables that a CMS (such as WordPress) will provide. Using WP as an example, I wouldn't be able to organize each tutorial by topic and each topic by category. I also wouldn't be able to create the profile systems.

On the other side, adding features, such as a commenting system, would be easier using a WP database because the scripts would be provided as part of the WP download files.

Is there a CMS that can provide the features I need? If there are multiple, which do you suggest?
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    None that I'm aware of. If you're needing to get deep enough that you're controlling individual tables in and relationships in the DB, you're probably looking at a custom job.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Thanks for the response.

I guess I will be building the CMS myself. This should be interesting.
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Wordpress because it's is easy and latest trend of market..........

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Get-Simple?

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Actually Ive just discovered Concrete 5. Its a very very good simple cms with a decent backbone. Check it out
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m3n0tu18, post: 237633
    Actually Ive just discovered Concrete 5. Its a very very good simple cms with a decent backbone. Check it out
    Yeah Concrete5 actually is pretty decent, but I like Get-Simple a bit better...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish01, post: 237447
    Wordpress because it's is easy and latest trend of market..........
    It's also the slowest, most complex, and least secure, of all of them. For a casual site or a site that's really meant to be a blog, it's a very versatile system, however, for a business site that's infrequently updated it's really not that fitting.

Member #
    Everyone knows WordPress is the best CMS because it's very easy to use and seo friendly. so i also suggest you WordPress..

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Why don't you address shovenose's argument first before bumping a dead thread with a generic remark, Danish? If you really believe what you just said, you should be able to argue his point.
    shovenose likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads