Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I installed it on a website of mine, it is so great! I really like the admin back-end, compared to other forum software like phpBB it looks a lot nicer! Now I see why people really like it.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Wait until you need a plugin. There's very little community code available for XF, relative to vB.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Xenforo is state-of-the-art and is developing an add-on community. But also it is best to avoid add-ons unless they are created by an established group that is certain to maintain it. Most add-ons are created by individuals who someday retire and kapuff. I switched to Xenforo though it is not yet installed. My main reason for switching was that Vbulletin changed the update fee structure. Now you supposedly get a 'permanent' license, but based on past experience, it is only 'permanent' until VB decides to start a new update series.

But right now, I am unable to "preview" or "edit" messages at WDF, both in Firefox 15.0 and Explorer 8.0. Can someone please tell me if this is a Xenforo glitch--or a WDF glitch--or an intentional WDF setting? Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    WDF has some oddness. The previous owners made some mods that introduced some quirks.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley, post: 240514
    Wait until you need a plugin. There's very little community code available for XF, relative to vB.
    Hi Mr. Mosely.

The 2010 discussion "Kier Darby Announces Xenforo" convinced me to buy Xenforo, based partly on the promise of a strong modification community. But after reading your comments, I am unable to decide whether you are for or against Xenforo vs. Vbulletin? I suspect that perhaps, as an innovative programmer, you look down upon them separately but equally?

Also, you made an excellent comment which I quote below about the ideal social networking platform. Have you since achieved any ideas about a platform that would be, perhaps not ideal, but distinctive and competitive? If so, approximately how much might you charge to build such a platform?

I would like to build such a platform, just as soon as I can find (a) the money and (b) someone to manage it.

Quote Originally Posted by smoseley, post: 189816
    IMO, all forum software is antiquated... and all forums will eventually dwindle and morph into blogs until someone figures out a way to make forums intrinsically interconnected with established social media in a way that benefits users on a broad scale.

The innate problem with forums / BBs is that they were invented at a time when Internet culture was ruled by disparate communities of like-minded people. That's changing rapidly, as players like FB and Twitter are amassing all-encompasing, all-powerful communities.

"Connect" allows developers to integrate disparate sites into those central backbones, but no one has found a way to create a seamless system that will bring everyone together while keeping them separate (via forums). Whoever invents the missing link will OWN the forum space and control the interactions of potentially BILLIONS of Internet users at once.

Think on that for a while and see if you can figure out the solution... if you hit it, congrats you're a billionaire.
    (My goal is not to make a billion dollars, but to earn a significant salary as CEO of a nonprofit corporation like "Newman's Own"--which develops nonprofit competitors to Facebook, Amazon, Google and/or Ebay--or perhaps something new.)

Remove Ads